OKRA Fried rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi i am currently in barbados and i came across htis simple but lovely recipe for an african vegetable. We had it with red snapper but it could be eaten on its own as a light lunch.

If anyone is interested in this dish i will right out the menu for you.

adios

Another okra lover here. Have grown it and the plants have gorgeous flowers.

Unfortunately they take up too much room for my small garden to forgo them now.

But can always find fresh ones in season at a farmer's market.

Auntdot - have you tried a container or two of okra?

One year when I was laid up after leg surgery I did my garden in large pots on the deck. Grew tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, AND okra all in 5-gallon plastic containers & big (like 16"+) clay pots. The okra not only grew beautifully, but was very decorative as well. And since it's just my husband & I, the fact that I could harvest a couple of handfulls of pods at a time for one meal & at the same time clear all the plants of mature pods in order to continue producing, was also a big plus. No having to blanch & freeze extras - not that that's a problem when one is up & around on two feet - lol!!

Anyway - something to consider. While I grew the regular "Clemson Spineless" variety in my pots, there are a couple of dwarf varieties available now that are specifically meant for container culture. I don't have the names on me at the moment, but there's at least one green variety, as well as a red.

Even with a garden in the ground I still plan to have a couple of pots of okra on the deck this year.

Last edited:
Ok here goes here is the recipe of course add the quanity you want to your own likeness this is a rough estimate.

Ok start with cutting up half a red onion and mince 2 cloves of garlic and cook till soft with 2 tbsps of oil of your choice and 1 tbsp of butter /margarine.

Then add 4 0zs of okra and cook for 5 minutes

Then add 1/2 tea spoon of 5 spice powder , 1/2 tea spoon of ground thyme and one or 2 fresh green chilli and a quarter of red and green pepper finely chopped cook for 3 mins.

Then add 2 tbsps of soy sauce , 1 tbsp of fresh corriander and about 200 grams of cooked rice depending on your appetite along with some fresh corriander . Then top with fresh corriander leaves. Season with salt and pepper

I hope you enjoy. I think the recipe is afro- carribbean /south american

Last edited:
That sounds absolutely delicious!! Can't wait to try it this summer to accompany some spicy Cajun Catfish or Jerk Chicken.

Oh, & for anyone interested in container-size okra, here's the link to Park Seed's "Little Lucy", which is a dwarf burgundy variety. I'm thinking of giving it a try this coming season in deck containers.

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=5197&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text%20Search&SearchText=okra&OfferCode=V1H

Although I don't buy from Park often, they do offer 9 varieties of okra - more than a lot of other seed companies do.

please tell me how it went if you can remember , when does the summer reach you/

Okra is definitely a big-time heat lover, so while I do start the seeds indoors under lights, I don't do so until early/mid-March. I then pot the seedlings up or transplant them out in May - after a couple of weeks hardening off period. Depending on the weather, I usually use "Mothers Day" as my traditional set-out date.

Back
Top Bottom