Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Burned plastic in microwave (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/burned-plastic-in-microwave-42823.html)

jdhomer 02-06-2008 05:43 PM

Burned plastic in microwave
 
:wacko:Hi-have a question-two days ago-I accidentally hit 10 minutes on high instead of 3 seconds, and burned the little bowls that this dessert was in. Now I cannot get the smell out. I've used ovencleaner microwave cleaners, soap/water, and whatever else I can get my hands on-any suggestions? This microwave is relatively new, and I use it alot for reheating. The smell is running us out of the house-and cannot possibly be healthy...

Dina 02-06-2008 06:49 PM

I'd open all windows and give your house some good ventilation.

Katie H 02-06-2008 07:14 PM

First mix some baking soda with some water, doesn't matter what proportions, and microwave on HIGH for about 3 minutes. Leave the container with the hot mixture in the microwave for about 30 minutes. Remove and wipe the inside down and wash the turntable, if there is one, in hot soapy water. That should help a lot.

If the baking soda doesn't work, try the same thing with a mixture of lemon juice and water, about 50/50. See if that helps.

If neither of these work, stuff the whole microwave full of crumpled newspapers, close the door and leave it closed up for about 24 hours. Be sure to lock the power ON switch so no one accidentally "nukes" the newspaper and starts a fire.

These are the only remedies I can offer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.