Brining containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
What do you use for brining container , for turkey or chicken? I don't have anything large enough to cover the whole bird.

Do you have a stockpot? You could use that for your chicken. I usually just cook chicken pieces so those do not take up a lot of room. I can use a very small container to do three breasts.

They sell brining bags at cook ware stores. I have a big pickle bucket that I use only for brining turkeys. Call a few restaurants until you find one that will save a empty pickle bucket for you.

They sell brining bags at cook ware stores. I have a big pickle bucket that I use only for brining turkeys. Call a few restaurants until you find one that will save a empty pickle bucket for you.

You can also buy a bucket that's a great size at home depot.

Exactly, jenny!

I have a multitude of buckets with lids. Of course tupperware has a great variety of bigger sizes now too, ideal for smaller cuts.

I use heavy duty garbage/trash bags (my turkeys are usually pretty large) to hold the brine and the turkey. Since I never have room in my fridge to hold it, I put the bag in a large cooler filled with ice.

I usually use my largest stock pot for a chicken.

I use one of these to brine large turkeys. It's great because when I need to drain off the water, all I have to do is to place it, on the counter, near the sink with the spigot pointed down into the sink.

It's also good because I can add lots of ice directly to the container to keep the food appropriately cold and the handle is good for picking it up/carrying it.

I use one of these to brine large turkeys. It's great because when I need to drain off the water, all I have to do is to place it, on the counter, near the sink with the spigot pointed down into the sink.

It's also good because I can add lots of ice directly to the container to keep the food appropriately cold and the handle is good for picking it up/carrying it.

Now THATS smart!

It's great because when I need to drain off the water, all I have to do is to place it, on the counter, near the sink with the spigot pointed down into the sink.

Yes, that spigot is a great thing. My cooler has a spigot too and I do the same thing.

For just one chicken or a few pork chops - I use a large polycarbonate plastic food storage container that I got at a restaurant supply. For something bigger, I just use my big (30-qt I think) plastic Coleman cooler that I picked up at WalMart about 10-12 years ago ... yep - that spigot is handy!

For just one chicken or a few pork chops - I use a large polycarbonate plastic food storage container that I got at a restaurant supply. For something bigger, I just use my big (30-qt I think) plastic Coleman cooler that I picked up at WalMart about 10-12 years ago ... yep - that spigot is handy!

For larger birds or chunks of lamb, goat or, well anything... Go to your local grocery store that makes and decorates cakes, ask them to save you an icing bucket when it is empty, ask them to rinse it out for you. Go back and pick it up for free. They are good for storing bags of flour, dried beans, and of course are food safe. Darn good brining bucket too. Spouts are available at Home depot if you want a draining spout in them (you have to drill a hole).

It should be noted that only FOOD SAFE PLASTIC contaniners and bags should be use to hold food. Garbage bags and plastic buckets and NOT food safe. Check this out:

Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining - The Virtual Weber Bullet

Thanks for brining that up and also for posting the link
thumbsup.gif

Not sure what a special "brining bag" from a cookware stire would be.

Ziplocks are food safe (as far as I know) and perfectly sized. You could brine a golden retriever in their largest one (I do not recommend)

Definitely good thinking. I remember a Good Eats episode (deep frying a turkey, as I recall) where that very contrivance was used!

Thanks for brining that up and also for posting the link
thumbsup.gif

Excellent pun!

Back
Top Bottom