Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   ISO Some Appetizer Ideas (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/iso-some-appetizer-ideas-42871.html)

Essiebunny 02-07-2008 04:10 PM

ISO Some Appetizer Ideas

We're having some friends on Sunday for dinner. I'm making a standing rib roast. I pretty much know what I'll make as side dishes, but really need some simple appetizer ideas.

TATTRAT 02-07-2008 04:22 PM

How many people, what's your budget?

Toots 02-07-2008 05:23 PM

When I have friends over for dinner, I always have a simple appetizer for them to nibble on while I finish the meal. Sounds like you are having a nice dinner so I wouldn't get too crazy on appetizers, maybe only one or two such as:

veggies and a good dip
good cheese and bread
or good bread and olive oil for dipping
hummus and pita (or veggies)
hot spinach/artichoke dip
homemade cheese straws
shrimp and cocktail sauce

CharlieD 02-07-2008 05:49 PM

Homemade cheese straws - what's that?

kitchenelf 02-07-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD (Post 546075)
Homemade cheese straws - what's that?

Charlie - this is a very basic recipe. They are QUITE addicting!

QSis 02-07-2008 07:37 PM

Shrimp cocktail is one of the easiest.

Cantalope cubes wrapped with pieces of proscuitto.

Mixed imported olives

Cucumber slices topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon, a sprig of dill

An assortment of cheeses is always a good bet.

Lee

kitchenelf 02-07-2008 08:14 PM

Love the cucumber idea!

Union Cafe Bar Nuts

You can also take some kalamata olives and "marinate" them in lemon zest (larger pieces so they don't get eaten), fresh rosemary sprigs, and I think that's all - I'm searching for the book they are in :blush:

For a heavier appy make some pesto (homemade is ALWAYS better). Take a baguette, slice and lightly toast. Spread with a bit of goat cheese, spread with a bit of pesto, top with a couple "ribbons" of freshly roasted red pepper.

kadesma 02-07-2008 09:58 PM

We often have this and my gang love it..It's just one of those small around baguettes, sliced not to thick then toasted on both sides. Mix together some mascarpone, and gorgonzola with a little salt and pepper, add some crushed and toasted walnuts, blend well and put on your baguette, then top with a half of a toasted walnut..Tasty and simple...Also nice is a toasted baguette topped with tapenade and a small slice of parma ham or proscuitto, just rub the baguette with evoo and garlic, toast, top with the tapenade, then a leaf of fresh basil and top it off with a small slice of then ham/proscuitto...Or use a baguette and evoo,garlic, toast, then top with a slice of salami, a slice of cherry tomato and a piece of shaved parmesan .

kadesma:smile:

*amy* 02-08-2008 01:19 AM

Antipasti on a stick (served on skewers or party picks). Any combo of ingreds you like - mushrooms, cocktail onions, marinated artichoke hearts, tortelini, halved cherry tomatoes, stuffed olives, salami, pepperoni, ham, provolone or mozzarella balls, etc. marinated in Italian dressing.

Fruit skewers - strawberries, mango, star fruit, kiwi, melon balls, mozzarella or Gouda cheese. Serve w strawberry yogurt dipping sauce in small ramekins. You could serve one of each of the skewers - antipasti & a fruit.

Tortelini, mozzarella & cherry tomato skewers.

Mushrooms stuffed with bleu cheese & walnut or couscous & sun-dried tomatoes.

Cucumber slices topped with a mixture of crumbled feta cheese & sour cream, minced garlic, black pepper, sun-dried tomatoes & fresh parrsley. Top with a Kalamata olive.

Stuffed shrimp.

Pencil asparagus wrapped with prosciutto.

Cheese lollipops - mini cheeseballs (add smoked salmon or whatever combo you like) rolled in parsley or nuts - served on pretzel sticks.

Gazpacho shrimp cocktail w chips, served in martini glasses. Think I posted the recipe under appys.

Still thinking.

Jeff G. 02-08-2008 04:17 PM

No one mentioned my favorite

Bruschetta with tomatoes, garlic and basil...