Cookbooks, do you use them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy them all the time and probably have 1,000+. And, yes, I use them...all the time. We rarely eat the same thing twice, except for twice a year when I take a month and prepare all our favorites for the month. Love our cookbooks.

books

yes , i buy them and use them. don't use everyday because a lot of meals are in my head. i enjoy reading them as much as a good book, silly me.
i have a book case in my sewing/puter room. four shelves and it is full.

babe

Last edited:
I do use cookbooks for certain things - I'm a "baby" compared to a lot with only about 350 to my name. My MIL has well over 2,000! I have a few standards where I know certain recipes are that I need. I really only use less than 5 quite frequently - sad - but oh so fun to sit on the porch in the summer and read the rest of them with a nice glass of white Burgundy! :chef:

........or Champagne
........or Pinot Grigio
........or Sangria
........or Blaufrankish
........or Aligote

........:blush: :glare:

Im with everbody else, I LOVE THEM, my kids always try to buy me a new cookbook each, for every mothers day and birthday, but I always buy them myself each week, so not much choice left for them Im afraid, I have so many doubles and triples, I give them away as presents, I cant do without them, and no, I dont cook all the recipes from them, only a few, but I do LOVE looking and reading them.

I love cookbooks, and do use them. Some more than others, as you could tell by looking at them. I also read them like a book.

2000 cookbooks!!!! WOW!!!

I have 18, not many at all! I do use them but I also use many food blogs online for loads of recipes. When I became vegetarian I bought several to help me understand proper nutrition and how to cook with things like lentils, quinoa and tofu.

I love cookbooks and have started collecting old and weird ones.

I have several hundred and read them cover to cover usually. I find cookbooks and food books to be much more informative and reliable than blogs.

I am an avid reader, and read cookbooks have a shelf full,and refer to them often. However, of late, I find myself using the internet more and more for recipe ideas. For me, it easier, and generally better. Googling an ingredient will produce hundreds of recipe ideas. I usually use them as a starting point and go from there.

I'm curious about those of you with so many cookbooks where you keep them? I have a book shelf in my kitchen which is not nearly enough space. I like to have them easy to get to, but not enough room in my kitchen.

Am a cookbook-aholic. We have so many we have no place to put them.

I like to read them. Do we need anymore, not really. And can get most recipes on the web.

And usually don't cook from a book anyway.

So now buy more books about food than those with recipes.

Yes, and like Jenny was hooked on buying antique, OK, old cookbooks.

Am gettint better about buying books because of all of the ones that have to go into boxes in the cellar.

Sigh.

I have several hundred.....some old some new, some stored in the kitchen and some just stored away somewhere!

Do I use them? Hard to define "use", but I do read them, I get inspiration from them and some I use for reference.

I need a recipe for most things (a personal quirk that my boyfriend finds amusing), but I've only bought a few cookbooks. The rest are the ones I've inherited, gifts from family, and a three-ring binder I use for family recipes and things I've found online that we liked.

I've got about 50 or so ... never really counted them. Some I use for the recipes, some for inspiration, some for techniques. And, I admit that I too read them like novels. With the increase of recipes available online - my buying urges have declined - but I probably do have 4-5GB of recipes in files on my hard drive.

I'm curious about those of you with so many cookbooks where you keep them? I have a book shelf in my kitchen which is not nearly enough space. I like to have them easy to get to, but not enough room in my kitchen.

In our breakfast room, adjacent to our kitchen, I have two full walls that I've turned into space for my cookbooks. One is a half wall that is about 7 feet across and has 4 large shelves. The other space is floor-to-ceiling shelves about 4 feet across. Those spaces are where I store the "cookbooks." All my cooking reference-type books are in a bookcase in my office. Those fill three shelves about 3-feet across each.

So far I am able to find space and there's still some room on another wall in the breakfast room that I can use if I need it.

I buy them all the time and probably have 1,000+. And, yes, I use them...all the time. We rarely eat the same thing twice, except for twice a year when I take a month and prepare all our favorites for the month. Love our cookbooks.

A thousand books? Jeez... you can create a library with that many books..

I've been a BIG-TIME cookbook collector for many years now. Easily have a couple thousand volumes - some historic & many first editions.

I have a narrow floor-to-ceiling bookcase in my kitchen/dining/great room area where I keep volumes of the coffee-table type for guests to enjoy, & keep every-day type books (Joy of Cooking, Martha Stewart One & Two, etc., etc.) on my tile counter. The rest of the collection is kept with our other books (husband & I also collect mysteries, gardening books, livestock/farming books, biographies, sky's the limit, yadayadayada) in other rooms of the house.

I read cookbooks like one would read a novel, & with the number I now have, I will most likely die before I get to them all - lol!!

However, I do have a fun way of using them. I plan our menus & grocery shopping by the week, & I try to, once a week, arbitrarily pull a book off the shelf & let it open to a page & make a recipe from that page (so long as it's one I like - lol!!) It's a lot of fun & has gotten me to try lots of different recipes that I might not have if I waited until I got around to reading the book thru - lol!!

350? 1000? Good Lord, and ya'll don't think that is a lot?????????????

I have about 5 I think.... and I don't even have enough room in my kitchen for them as it is, let alone for hundreds. I am totally floored...

I have less than 100, including cooking magazines. My cookbooks are stored in storage containers under my bed and my 'Taste of Home magazines' & old 'Taste of Home Quick Cooking' magazines are currently setting on a bookshelf for now. I don't have room to put all of my cookbooks & magazines where I can get to them easier. About every 2 yrs., I go through my stuff and decide what I've used and didn't use. Then I give away whatever I don't use or no longer want. I keep certain cooking magazines...Pillsbury & etc. that you buy at the checkout counter. I keep most of my cakes & cookies magazines and a few others. My favorite cookbooks are the 3 that are from the factory where my sister works. The company has put together 3 employee cookbooks and I've enjoyed them all, especially the first one. I tend to like the factory cookbooks, church cookbooks, & etc. the most but I also like my 'Taste of Home' magazines too.

I also use the internet a lot though. When I'm in a hurry to look for something, I search the internet. I can put in the ingredients in certain sites and come up with a variety of recipes. The internet is great when I can't seem to find what I want in my cookbooks.

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom