14 February Saint Valentine-What's your dinner menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonaskitchen

Senior Cook
So, 14 february is coming...what's your dinner menu? (...ehm, a part 'after dinner plans' ;)...!)

I think ro have rice for starting, then an 'arrosto' and this delicious cake:

Strawberries bavarese
Preparation time: 20 minutes minutes
Difficulty: low

Ingredient x 4-6 people:
  • 250 gr strawberries
  • 250 ml cream
  • 100 gr sugar
  • 5 gr fish glue (or pectin)
  • 1 table spoon vodka
Clean and wash strawberries, then blend them with sugar. Take a pot and drop some cold water, add the fish glue and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then take a small sauce pan, drop 2 table spoons of strawberries and add the fish glue, at medium heat, mix well and let the glue melt. Add vodka and all the strawberries mixture. Whip the cream and add gently to the mixture. Then drop into small mould and put into the fridge for 3-4 hours.

You can substitute strawberries with blackeberries or raspberries, too!

Better to prepare this cake the day before, because it is very important to let it rest into the fridge several hours.
Serve decorating with fresh fruits, or whipped cream, chocolate ...

I think we're actually going out this year for a change. A low-key event at a private club. Prime rib I know is on the menu but I don't know about anything else. The cooks there are superb so I know it will be spectacular!

I'm considering grilling (it's her fav, nevermind that it's been snowing) or alternately making my fried chicken, another of her favs. For a side, nice roasted asparagus, for openers, bacon wrapped oysters. For dessert either a nice hot pink raspberry foole, or maybe a cheesecake...just made one yeserday (chocolate chip) but it's not going to make it six more days.

Me & my other half probably wont be able to see each other on valentines. But I know my menu if i was cooking!

Starters-Mini potato & pepper burgers, mini meat burgers, with a yoghurt and cucumber raita and chilli sauce

Mains-Mushroom rissoto & garlic bread

Dessert-Chocolate cream pots or a mixture of fresh strawberries and raspberries to dip in chocolate mousse

I'm considering grilling (it's her fav, nevermind that it's been snowing) or alternately making my fried chicken, another of her favs. For a side, nice roasted asparagus, for openers, bacon wrapped oysters. For dessert either a nice hot pink raspberry foole, or maybe a cheesecake...just made one yeserday (chocolate chip) but it's not going to make it six more days.

REAL, honest-to-goodness homemade fried chicken???? :in_love:

We always celebrate by going out a few days after the 14th. It makes it more special for us if we're the only ones celebrating LOVE.

We have a very very busy day on the 15th so dinner on the 14th will be soup
from a can and sandwiches.

I'm a southern boy, grandma didn't want me to starve, so she showed me how. When I came up here to live with my honey, I made it for her. Being from Mass, then moving to NJ, she'd never had REAL fried chicken. She has now, and makes me whip up a batch at least once a week.

I'll be working on Valentine's Day... and the 3 days after. So the following Monday I'm torn between doing some really elegant things that she'll probably like, or some really inelegant things that I know she'll like.

I just pulled out this really old but really killer recipe for a red-wine BBQ sauce form the last place I worked at, and I've been DYING to try braising lamb in it, and then serving that inside crepes, with maybe some chanterelle risotto or creamy mushroom orzo. Lamb may be a little too gamey for her though. Served with one of my fabulous time-consuming desserts.

On the other hand, she'd love the meal for sure if I started with italian sausage rolled up in puff pastry, or fresh mozzarella breaded in panko and deep fried. Follow that up with either chicken nachos or creamy chicken pasta, or maybe a grilled ribeye with fries, and ending with some apple pie or carrot cake. Nothing too sexy about that meal, but it amounts to comfort food for her.

I don't have a dinner menu , whatever I am in the mood to cook , if even that. We could end up with take out or just leftovers. If my meat grinder arrives today and I have some beef roast to grind, I may cook something with that.

Last edited:
Sushi for starters (whether it will be home made depends on the energy levels that day)
Thai prawn curry for mains
Still thinking about dessert.
All washed down with the last bottle of bubbly left over from our wedding.

I'm making Dan's Ultimate Shrimp Risotto, with seared sea scallops instead of shrimp, and with roasted asparagus drizzled with balsamic reduction. Heart-shaped, heart-decorated, raspberry-flavored sugar cookies for dessert. Unless I pick up a molten chocolate lava cake for dessert instead ;)

Last edited:
I think I'll pick up some shrimp. Maybe I'll wrap it with bacon!

Salad and a veggie to go with. Dessert?? Something easy and romatic to share.

We'll do a real celebration later in the week.

Valentines Day Dinner?

i'm thinking of putting together the following:

- Split stuffed cherry tomatoes with barley and wild rice
- Minestrone, topped with a heart shaped piece of gruyere
- Beef Wellington (the GF's favorite)
- Chocolate raspberry moose torte, with some chocolate raspberry truffles and fresh raspberries

Last edited:
I have 4 very special people: my husband, my two sons and daughter. I will be cooking our usual dinner and throw in a chocolate treat. Hmmm...maybe a chocolate tart or a chocolate cream pie.

The Hubby is taking care of dinner! I've been in the mood for duck lately so I think he might surprise me with a duck dish. If I can find good strawberries, I might make some strawberry trifle.

so what does everyone have in store for that special someone come Thursday?

i'm thinking of putting together the following:

- Split stuffed cherry tomatoes with barley and wild rice
- Minestrone, topped with a heart shaped piece of gruyere
- Beef Wellington (the GF's favorite)
- Chocolate raspberry moose torte, with some chocolate raspberry truffles and fresh raspberries

Jay, your thread has been merged with an existing Valentine's Day dinner thread. Now you can see what others are planning. Enjoy!:)

My girlfriend likes filet mignon topped with crab meat, so I'll make that for her along with mushroom and asparagus risotto. Not sure about dessert though.

I am going to try some rattle snake pasta, my girlfriend and I had it at a resturant and loved it. Its penne alfredo with chicken, jalapeno peppers, jack and parm cheese, planning to make the sauce from scratch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom