Rice is sticking to my non-stick pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NisAznMonk

Assistant Cook
I have a Sanyo ECJ-HC55H that I use to cook my rice and chicken every other night. Well it is supposed to come with 2 non-stick pots, but one of them seems to have rice stick all over it. Did I do something to make it loose its non-stick properties? Anything I can do before I cook rice to make sure that it doesn't stick to the pot?

Are both the rice and slow cooker pots nonstick?

Washing could cause a pot to lose it's non-stick quality ... such as washing in a dishwasher, using a harsh deterdent, abrasive scrubber or cleaner, etc.

Don't know how you do your rice - so this may be redundant ... but here are suggestions of things to try (per my rice cooker instruction manual):

1) Wash the rice well to remove surface starch - which will reduce sticking.

2) Spray the pot with a non-stick cooking spray - or pour in a couple of tablespoons of oil and smear it around on the surface of the pot with a paper towel - before adding the washed rice and water.

I've been making rice without a problem in a saucepan (not non-stick) with a tight fitting lid for years without a problem ... unless I had the heat too high or over-cooked it (didn't pay attention to the time). I basically did what the rice cooker manual suggested - I washed the rice, then added some oil to the pot and sautéed the rice for a couple of minutes (like you would for a pilaf) so the grains of rice were well coated with oil before I added the water.

Oh, my rice cooker - just a cheap Aroma 8-cup rice cooker/steamer (ARC-978) ... just got it at WalMart Friday night (2 days ago) and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Finally decided to break down and give one a try since everyone has always talked about how perfect the rice always comes out without the need to pay attention to it.

NizAznMonk,
Michael's advise is very sound, I'd also check the type of rice you used.
Perhaps was short grain suitable for risotto (more starchy)?, if I where you I'd also check the thermostat on the appliance.

I prepare rice the same way as Michael does, using a Stainless Steel pan, the rice never sitcks even when I prepare risotto and don't wash the rice. The only thing I must do is heat up the pan thoroughly, add the oil and swirl the pan to get an even coating on all surfaces. I don't use a rice cooker.

Since you said there are two pots, have you check with your roomate? Perhaps one of the pots was used incorrectly? Perhaps one of the pots has a manufacturing flaw?

Back
Top Bottom