What can a newb cook for his wife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric green

Assistant Cook
Ok so I would like some suggestions of a cool meal that I can make for my wife that doesnt take too long, a newb can make it, doest cost a lot, and materials available at walmart.

So if anyone has any suggestions of a dish I could make for my wife let me know.

She likes all sorts of food except anything with ketchup and pork.

At home I have a descent kitchen and tools.....

The only food I know how to cook are, spaghetti, eggs, pancakes and thats about...

So to sum it up I would like
-suggestions of a nice meal to cook for my wife
-a guide on how to cook that meal
-the approx cost

Thanks!

Roast chicken, baked potato, Tossed Salad, Veggie.

Buy a whole chicken, about 4-5 pounds/$4-5 or less on sale. Take it out of the packaging and remove the stuff from the insides. Roast it in a roasting pan until done.

Baked potatoes - wash the skins and put them into the oven with the chicken - a buck or two.

Buy bagged salad greens and her favorite salad dressing. Serve in bowls

Buy her favorite frozen veggie and microwave it until hot.

Ice cream, hot fudge sauce and an aerosol can of whipped cream for dessert. Make hot fudge sundaes or do whatever with the whipped cream.

Or maybe even a cornish hen, prepared very similar Andy's directions. They cost about the same as a chicken, maybe just a tad more depending on where you live. You can roast them whole roast in a roasting pan until done. Perhaps add a rub of paprika, kosher salt, thyme, garlic powder on the skin side. I like to split them in half before serving because it makes it easier to handle on the plate and I like the presentation.

Baked potatoes would also go great with this. Other alternatives, garlic mashed potatoes. Quarter potatoes and boil with toes of garlic (as much or as little as you prefer) until potato is soft enough for a tip of knife to go through easily. Drain and mash potato and garlic together. Add milk to get to desired creaminess. Top with grated Parmesian cheese. You can serve as is or bake it for about 10 min. at 375 degrees to get a nice golden topping.

Andy's salad and veggie suggestions would go great with these. Another simple veggie side is roasted asparagus with Parmesian cheese. Rinse asparagus. Snap the white (tough) ends of the asparagus off and throw away. Put on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Bake for 10 min. at 375 degree or until desired tenderness. Sprinkle Parmesian cheese and serve.

For dessert, maybe some Sarah Lee frozen pound cake sliced. Top with fresh berries and whipped cream. Lots of ways to get fancy on this if so inclined. Buy hot fudge or caramel sauce and drizzle on a plate before you layer on the pound cake and berries. You can also layer this in a dish, layer pound cake/berries/whipped cream and repeat.

Ok so I would like some suggestions of a cool meal that I can make for my wife that doesnt take too long, a newb can make it, doest cost a lot, and materials available at walmart.

So if anyone has any suggestions of a dish I could make for my wife let me know.

She likes all sorts of food except anything with ketchup and pork.

At home I have a descent kitchen and tools.....

The only food I know how to cook are, spaghetti, eggs, pancakes and thats about...

So to sum it up I would like
-suggestions of a nice meal to cook for my wife
-a guide on how to cook that meal
-the approx cost

Thanks!

Go ahead and to the spaghetti thing. Get a jar of Newmans Sockarooni, Stick some garlic bread in the oven, open a bag of salad... it's a start and she will enjoy it.

A variation... get lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and make a lasagna. Sauce, cheese, noodles(mostly cooked)other cheese, repeat at least 3 times. If you want, fry up some meat and add to the sauce...

Pop it in a 350 oven and bake until browned off a bit on top..

It won't be expensive.

I saute some sliced mushrooms (a whole box will be about right for two) and remove from pan. Pound out some boneless, skinless chicken breasts really flat (without tearing them up). Dredge in flour that has been salted, peppered, and "garlicked". Saute in some olive oil and butter until browned on both sides. Place on a jellyroll pan. In the same skillet add almost as much marsala as chicken broth (the marsala should be the real stuff, not cooking marsala) and cook down for about 10 minutes or so. Next top your chicken with the mushrooms, then some grated fontina cheese and then the marsala mixture. Top with a few spring onions (the green parts) and bake for about 20 minutes on 350.

Now, I will say that the Fontina is expensive - but oh so worth it for a treat! If I had to switch it out for something else I might be tempted to use Swiss. Fontina is a semi-soft cheese with some great flavor. Mozzarella would be too flavorless but might do in a pinch if you "upped" the green onion.

Roast chicken, baked potato, Tossed Salad, Veggie.

Buy a whole chicken, about 4-5 pounds/$4-5 or less on sale. Take it out of the packaging and remove the stuff from the insides. Roast it in a roasting pan until done.

Baked potatoes - wash the skins and put them into the oven with the chicken - a buck or two.

Buy bagged salad greens and her favorite salad dressing. Serve in bowls

Buy her favorite frozen veggie and microwave it until hot.

Ice cream, hot fudge sauce and an aerosol can of whipped cream for dessert. Make hot fudge sundaes or do whatever with the whipped cream.

I love the whole suggestion! (probably because I love this meal myself!)

A couple of details: rub the chicken skin with a little olive oil, then lightly sprinkle the inside and outside of the chicken with salt and pepper. You can, if you want, treat the potato skins the same way.

Roast the chicken and potatoes in a 350 oven for an hour and 15 minutes. The potato flesh should be VERY tender when you stick a fork in it, and the juices in the chicken thigh should run clear (not red) when you prick it.

I'm sure there will be a lot more suggestions - please let us know which you end up making!

Lee

If this is for a special occasion, cook something you feel comfortable cooking. (Save trying something new for another time.)

You mention that you've cooked spaghetti. Well that opens up all sorts of pasta recipes for you. If you've cooked spaghetti, you can literally cook any other type of pasta as well.

What sort of pasta dish do you think your wife would like? Something with poultry, like bite-size chicken? Something with seafood, like shrimp? I shop at Wal-Mart all the time, so what I can buy there, you probably can too. Let me know what you think you'd feel most comfortable with & I'll be more than happy to give you easy suggestions, & a run-down.

Go with your strengths. You know spaghetti how about a carbonara? It is easy and very tasty, just Google. It is pretty straight forward.

A salad and some nice red wine.

Sounds good to me.

Minute Steak is always delicious. It's kind of like burger except in steak form still. But it's been pounded.

Anyways, dip the slices in some milk and then bread crumbs, flour and some spices (garlic salt, salt, pepper are always good). Then panfry them on each side for three minutes until the coating is starting to rise a little and sticks to the meat.

Then just put the slices in a corningware pan(can be another baking dish), put in half a cup of water and then pop it in the oven at about 300 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes or until done.

Goes excellently with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.

dudes what about the recipe or the directions on how to do all this, I have no idea on how to ...i duno

dudes what about the recipe or the directions on how to do all this, I have no idea on how to ...i duno

OK, simple lasagna.
buy a box of lasagna noodles. A container of ricotta cheese, a package of shredded mozzarella, jar of good spaghetti sauce(I like Newmans Sockarooni). Buy a loaf of frozen Garlic bread, a bag of salad and salad dressing.

Bring 2 quarts of water to boil. place noodles in water and cook until they begin to get tender. Take them off the heat, drain the hot water off and cover with cold water.

In 9x9 cake pan(the square one). ladle in a thin layer of sauce from the jar. Sprinkle with the Moz. cheese. Lay a one layer of noodles on. Take a spoon and a fork and distribute some of the ricotta. Lay on another layer of sauce, more Moz. cheese, another layer of noodles, more Ricotta. Keep doing that till you either run out of parts or the cake pan is full. It's OK to throw away the left over noodles or noodle parts. they are cheap.

Pre-heat your oven to 350. Place the lasagna in the oven and bake until browned over. Remove from oven, heat bread as it says on the package.

Do the Google!:LOL:

I say stick to your strengths. Go with a TNT spaghetti recipe you have, with some meatballs and garlic bread, maybe a nice garden salad to start. Nothing wrong with simple.

I agree with the previous poster... go with your strengths!(eggs, pasta) here is a nice 3 course meal you can prepare with stuff you already know how to use! you can even just go with the following salad and pasta for a nice 2 course meal

Salad course: Pear Salad with goat cheese
- 2 ripe pears
- 1 bag of salad mix
- 1 package of goat cheese(these come in small logs)
- some sweet dressing or oil and vinegar

place a handful of the salad mix on the backside of a plate. slice the pears thin, and fan out about 5 slices on the left side. cut 3 or 4 slices of the goat cheese into coins and fan them on the opposite side. top the salad with a bit of dressing. VERY easy to prepare... GREAT taste, not your ordinary salad. should get some props.
img_549122_0_fdc256ce199b15c1e0792751e2a992be.jpg

Pasta Course: Penne w/ Vodka sauce and italian sausage
- 1 box of penne pasta
- 1 package of italian sausage
- 2 shots of vodka
- tomato sauce, about 14 oz.
- heavy cream
- 1 roasted red pepper(the ones marinated in a jar), chopped

Cook the pasta as directed on the package. just boil it in some water with a bit of salt. cut 3 pieces of sausage into thin meddalions. fry in a pan with a bit of olive oil over medium heat until its cooked through.

for the sauce, in a deep frying pan add the tomato sauce and 2 shots of vodka. cook over high heat for about 3 minutes, until the vodka cooks out. reduce to a low flame and slowly add in the heavy cream, stirring frequently, until it turns into a light orange color. add the red pepper and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat. toss the pasta and sausage with the sauce. serve in a shallow bowl or deep plate.

this is pretty easy as well. you can buy a jar sauce for the tomato sauce... or if you want i can give you a recipe for an easy home made one. basically cook the pasta, fry the sausage, and add cream to the jar sauce... simple but a great flavor and looks fancy... again, not your everyday pasta!

Main course: Asparagus and red pepper Quiche
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 oz milk
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 1 package shredded chedder
- guldens mustard
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- dry dill

fit the pie crust into a 9 inch baking pan/pie plate. coat the bottom and sides with the mustard. cut the asparagus spears into 3/4 inch pieces. fry in a pan with some olive oil over medium heat for 4-6 minutes. add half of the asparagus to coat the bottom of the crust. add half the beaten egg on top of that. be sure to mix the egg and asparagus so the egg gets all in between. cut 5 long red pepper strips, and dice the rest. add the diced pepper and the rest of the egg mixture. add the milk. top with a handful or so of the shredded cheese until the top is covered with it. top with the red pepper strips in a pinwheel style. top with a dash of dill. bake for 25-35 minutes @ 350. let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

again, not an ordinary egg. and its pretty simple. cut up the vegitables, then just add them and the eggs to the pie crust, top with cheese and throw it in the oven.

img_549122_1_9f26be208ad853fd5adfc6a5c99e3d79.jpg

most of the ingredients are all very cheap. and these meals are all things you can make pretty quickly and easily. the salad should take about 5 minutes, maybe 15-20 for the pasta dish, and 35 for the quiche, but very little prep time on that

Last edited:
OK, simple lasagna.
buy a box of lasagna noodles........

This is even simpler.
Buy a box of lasagna noodles.
Read the back of the box for the recipe.
:LOL:

Heck, just go to Wally World and buy a gift card to Olive Garden ;)

I'm sure whatever you come up with will impress her whether it tastes good or not. You know... it's the thought that counts? Just don't leave the mess for her to clean up!

Eric, is there a particular recipe that someone posted that looked interesting to you? Maybe the poster can help with more detailed instructions or answer questions that you may have.

I think the suggestions to go with your strengths are good ones. The pasta suggestions are great since you're familiar with cooking pasta. Also, you can check out Food Network and Martha Stewart Living websites for recipes. Sometimes there are videos of the dish preparation, especially Martha Stewart's site. If you're a visual person like me, those always help!

JerseyJay's Penne W/Vodka sauce and Italian sausage sounds good, and definitely within your abilities to make as is the salad.
Then again that Quiche is making me drool :)

Here's are a couple of real simple dishes that are quite delicious:

Baked Chicken

Place chicken pieces of your choice (I use bone-in breasts and thighs) in a baking dish. Scrub a couple of medium sized russet potatoes, slice into 3/4 inch wedges and place around around chicken. Add a few baby carrots, a can of drained mushrooms and frozen Brussels sprouts if you like them. Spread a can (or two, depending on how much you have in the pan) of undiluted Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup over the top.
Optional...Sprinkle with a little paprika, fresh or dried parsley over all and top with a few thin slices of tomato (Roma's are best this time of year).

Cover with foil and cook in 350 degree oven for about and hour, or until all is tender. Increase heat to 425, and return to oven to brown a little, about 15-20 minutes.
If you buy some of those Pillsbury's frozen rolls, you can put a few in the oven while the chicken finishes up. Leave the rest in the freezer for another meal.

If you don't want to mix the vegies in with the meat, you can put a couple of potatoes in to bake with the chicken, and go with Andy's suggestion about the vegies.

This is a delicious meal, very easy, and cheap too!

Rock Cornish Hens

My first MIL taught me this one...It looks fancy, but it's very simple.

Put thawed hens in a roasting pan or large deep casserole dish. Add a box of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice (not the quick cooking version). Add a can of mushrooms and/or a jar of pimentos (both drained), if you wish, plus liquid called for on box of rice. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 350 until the meat and rice are tender...about 60-90 minutes.
Serve with her fave vegie and dinner rolls.

Andy is also right on about dessert. If you want to get fancy, serve a good vanilla (Blue Bunny is great!) with a shot of creme de mint or amaretto over the top.
You can still add chocolate syrup if you want.

I believe that anything you cook for your new wife will be greatly appreciated. Hand her a glass of her favorite wine, and refuse any offers of help. Google her favorite food group, find a recipe that is a little unusual and within your expertise and budget, and sounds good. The packaged salad mixes are all a good bet. I like the new fingerling potatos. Sprinkle with a mix of exta virgin olive oil and some herb mix without salt, and roast till done on a cookie sheet.
A favorite and simple dessert is a grasshopper, equal parts of creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and heavy creme. blended with shaved ice. Top with whipped creme and a marashino cherry, maybe, if you have it, a mint sprig. Serve in a fancy flared glass (martini?) Cost? Most anything you cook at home will be far less expensive than a night at the Olive Garden, and more appreciated. Trust me, the very fact that you want to cook for your wife means that you cannot go wrong. Any women out there disagree?

Last edited:
Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Ingredients:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
salt and pepper
1 can green chiles (chopped)
1 small carton sour cream
1 small onion, chopped
12 corn tortillas, cut in 1/2 inch strips
4 whole chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 pound cheddar cheese, grated

Mix first 6 ingredients for sauce. Grease a 3 quart casserole dish and layer tortillas, chicken and sauce. Put cheese on top and refrigerate overnight covered. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.

Sticky Lamb Skewers

Not sure if you can get this lamb at Wal-mart or not

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons redcurrant jelly
fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic
4 lamb loin chops
1 Tablespoon olive oil

In a shallow dish mix together red wine vinegar and the jelly. Strip the leaves from the rosemary stalks, setting a few aside for garnish, and chop the remainder. Stir into the redcurrant jelly mixture along with the garlic.

Spear each lamb chop with a skewer. This will hold them in place during cooking. Add the lamb to the jelly marinade and leave for 10 minutes, turning once.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the lamb with it's marinade and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning 1/2 way through, ntil the meat is cooked to your liking and the sauce has reduced to a sticky consistency. Garnish with reserved rosemary. Good served with mashed potatoes, salad and your choice of veggies.

Pesto Shrimp Pasta

Ingredients:
4 oz. penne pasta
12-14 medium-sized precooked and peeled shrimp
3 cups chopped baby spinach-you can buy this packaged next to the lettuce section
1 tomato chopped
3 Tablespoons ready-made pesto
3 Tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola cheese
2 Tablespoons diced walnuts (optional)

Boil the pasta according to package directions. If your using frozen shrimp dedrost them by running warm water over them. Drain the pasta. Transfer the pasta to large bowl and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to help wilt the spinach and mix in the pesto.

Mustard Steak
This is a pretty cheap cut steak that sits in a marinade through the day and then is cooked in just a few minutes.

1 pound flank steak or top round
3 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar (hint: store this with a slice of bread to help keep it from getting hard)
2 Tablespoons fresh garlic, minced

Whisk together mustard, soy sauce, worcestershire, sugar and garlic. Place steak in shallow dish and rub all over with mustard coating.

Marinate at room temperature for 2 hours or in the refrigerator for as long as 8 hours.

Pre-heat broiler (in the oven) or grill

Cook 4 minutes per side. Let sit on cutting board 5 minutes, and then thinly slice along the diagonal, across the grain and drizzle the juices from cutting board and serve.

This is my favorite salad dressing. It can be made ahead of time.
Salad Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 t. sugar
1 clove garlic, mashed or chopped fine

Whisk all ingredients well.

Back
Top Bottom