Deep Fried Twinkies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anybody here ever had em??

I hope this is an okay place to post this....

lol I'm sure these are horribly unhealthy, but they're soooo goooood! They're worth trying at least once..

Here's how I make them..

1 C. milk
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. Oil
1 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours, or overnight.

Heat 4 cups of vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.

To make batter: Mix together milk, vinegar and oil. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continu mixing until smooth. Regrigerate while oil heats.

Dust the twinkies with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate twinkie until batter covers entire cake. Place carefully in hot oil. The twinkies will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.

Remove twinkie to paper towel and let dain. Allow twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy!!

I had heard of these before but I wondered if it was for real. Thanks for posting the recipe. I might actually make these once for fun! (Or if I ever think I'll need the "Twinkie Defense" - these sound like they'd guarantee an acquittal!!!)

OMG as if Twinkies weren't bad enough for us already, LOL. But, might be fun to try it out with the kids, if at least just once to say I did it and had em! ;)

Well, that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!

At our state fair the thing every year is to come up with something else deep fried.
I think they did the Twinkies last year.
A few others....
Deep fried Oreo cookies
Deep fried Snickers bar
Deep fried pickle on a stick (that's the other thing, stuff on a stick)
deep fried pork chop on a stick

there's more but I can't remember, havent gone in awhile!

Just found an article with pictures on deep fried Oreos. Sounds like it might work.

They tasted good but the cookies were mushy and I guess I like my oreos crunchy!!
Snickers bar was really gooey..... DH loved it!

lol. one of my favorite subjects... FRYING DESSERT! woooohoooooooo!

If you take three cans of cola and let them flatten, and reduce them until they coat a spoon, you can replace half the milk in most batters, put the batter into a piping bag and pipe it directly into the fryer in small streams (wear heavy gloves) you can actually have fried coke. Fish them out and let them sit on a paper towel for a bit, and Cover with powdered sugar. VERY tasty as a garnish for ice cream. EXTREMELY SWEET use caution. :LOL:

I tried the deep fried twinkies at our annual fair a few years back. DH liked it, as well as the deep fried twinkies. I thought they were just meh. I didn't like the taste of the melted cream filling in the Twinkies. Last year, they added deep fried rattle snake. Didn't try it.

lol No i'm not scottish.. I don't know where I first had this, guess my mom just always made it as a treat for us kids. I have never tried the fried snickers, but i've heard it's very good too. I will need to try that sometime.

What's the function of vinegar in this recipe?

The vinegar will make the baking powder 'work' seans, I don't know if it's absolutely necessary.

I had to google twinkies, never seen them here -- well, they don't look to bad to me but I don't think I could eat to many. Then again, I crumb Snickers and Mars Bars for staff treats at times.

Sean, you have a very interesting web site there in your profile

Last edited:
lol. one of my favorite subjects... FRYING DESSERT! woooohoooooooo!

If you take three cans of cola and let them flatten, and reduce them until they coat a spoon, you can replace half the milk in most batters, put the batter into a piping bag and pipe it directly into the fryer in small streams (wear heavy gloves) you can actually have fried coke. Fish them out and let them sit on a paper towel for a bit, and Cover with powdered sugar. VERY tasty as a garnish for ice cream. EXTREMELY SWEET use caution. :LOL:

Now you've got my attention, so I've printed this out to try at work.
[Q] "reduce them until they coat a spoon, you can replace half the milk in most batters" -- What would happen if I used just straight cola and self raising flour, perhaps not strong enough???

Tried DF Oreos once at a fancy restaurant, and thought "WRy did they ruin that Oreo?" ... Recently tried deep fried chocolate dipped cheesecake and it had that familiar "funnel cake" greasy taste but thought it was 'eh' too. I have had (and enjoyed) the Twinkies tho, maybe the chocolate is somehow lost in the batter.

Thanks for posting the recipe, now my girls can experiment at home with all sorts of goodies!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom