Beer Primer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SixSix210

Senior Cook
NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be
Good morning all.

Just thought I'd put some of my experience to good use for a change instead of using my powers for evil. :LOL:

I began homebrewing just over 20 years ago, and have taken numerous courses on brewing, and have acted as a member of the judging staff at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver for 4 years. I've also worked part time, on and off throught my life as a bartender, and also worked as a somalier at multiple Napa wineries. As someone who adores and worships cooking as well, I've learned quite a bit about combining the two as well. Just wanted to share.

I wanted to start with an introduction to beer, and it's basics. This installment (no telling when I'll get tired of sharing about beer :LOL:) I'll introduce the MANY different types of beer. I will also sit down soon and cover the characteristics, and cover how to taste, how to throw a tasting party, and how to cook with it, so keep an eye out for those.I hear people say "I don't like beer" and laugh. I always tell them "you just haven't found the one for you yet" there are thousands of breweries in the U.S. alone, and most make a basic lager. So you have thousands of lagers. Each bearing a different style and taste of it's own. Hopefully by the end of my 'series' you'll be ready to go out and explore beer.

Here we go. Beer is made out of four ingredients. Water, Malted barley, Hops, and Yeast. The barley and the hops both have many varieties, and the malt can be roasted to achieve many different combinations of flavor. When the malts are roasted, they also add color to the beer. A prime example of this is the difference between a standard yellow beer and a stout. The roasting process adds the dark color, and the deep rich flavors of coffee and chocolate that most stouts have. Hops add the bitterness and aroma to beer. Hops also add the 'back' of the beer or aftertaste and smell. The yeast is the ingredient that divides the beer into it's first divisions, ales or lagers, and comes in many varieties as well.

Beer is divided into two categories plus one. Ales, Lagers, and specialty beers. While specialty beers can fall into either the ale or lager category, they tend to be on their own because of their flavors.

Ales.
Ales are produced by using a top fermenting yeast. This means that the yeast floats on the top of the brew and oxygenates for a few days while it flocculates (gathers in a mass) on the top of the beer. It will eventually sink to the bottom. Ale yeast also requires a warmer temperature to activate. The warmer temperature, more oxygen, and typically longer fermentation times all add up to a much heavier beer, with a higher alcohol content.

Lagers.
Lager yeast almost immediatly sinks to the bottom, and has a relatively fast fermentation time. Lager yeast works in a much colder climate (ever hear the phrase "frost Brewed"?) and because of that the yeast tends to be less active. Consider leaving a bread dough in a 'warm place for hours' versus leaving a bread dough in the fridge to rise. Lager yeast produces a lower alcohol content, and a much lighter, and drier beer.

Specialty Beer
Specialty beers are a breed of their own. Some beer afficianados shy away from these because of the extra ingredients, if we all did this Bud would go out of business ;) Most include extras like fruits, or flavorings which include oak, smoke, vegetables, herbs, and spices. Wheat beers also tend to fall into this category.

So there you have it. The three basic beers. What follows is a break down of what beer goes where. We'll get into more detail later on them

Ales
Barley Wine
Brown Ale
Kolsch
Mild
Old Ale refers to it's style, not it's age.
The following break down even farther.
Dark Ales
-Porter
-Stouts (which divides again into...)
--Chocolate
--Coffee
--Dry
--Imperial
--Milk
--Oatmeal
--Oyster
Belgian Ales
-Abbey
-Amber
-Blond
-Dubbel
-Flemish
-Quadrupel
-Trppel
-Trappist
Pale Ales
-Altbier
-American
-English Bitter
-E.P.A (extra pale)
-I.P.A. (india pale ale, another story all together)
-Saison
-Scotch ale

Lagers
Bock
-doppelbock
-Einbock
-Maibock
-Weizenbock
Pale Lager
-dorttmunder
-dry
-helles
-pilsner
-Spiezal
Dunkel
Marzen
Schwarzbier
Vienna
Kellerbier

Specialty Beers
Wheat
-Berliner
-Dunkel
-Hefeweizen
-Kristalweizen
-Weizenbock
-White Beer
Lambics A whole other section of their own, and will be covered later.
-Faro
-Fruit
-Gaeuze
And many more flavored beers

So there you have it. See why I never accept "I don't Like beer" as an answer? Right around fifty styles, and hundreds if not thousands of breweries making each one (except the lambics and trappists) everyday. Some places make more than one type of each. We're talking hundreds of thousands of different beers. You just have to find the one you like. We'll cover the flavors of each and how to taste them next.

PHEW I talk way too much :LOL: but I'd be happy to answer ANY (don't be shy) questions!

Well, I don't like beer :-p But I will have to say I can drink a Lambic if it's not too sweet. I have been known to have a Frambois and a plate of onion rings - WITH confidence I can say I ate fruit and vegetables for dinner :LOL:

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. There are several beer aficionados here - you guys should have a good conversation.

I've only just begun. :LOL: and I'm pretty sure that Lambics count as a serving of Fruit. If they don't, My diet is in trouble. If you don't know where Lambics come from, you may want to skip that upcoming post. For such aa beautiful, delicate thing, the process is a bit ugly. ;)

Kudos to you
bow.gif

I won't bother telling you about my "Beer Machine" :LOL:

So what category does Bud/Miller/Coors fall into?
After many many MANY kegs' worth, I finally realized that I didn't really
care for that "beer".

My current preference is a nice hoppy Pale Ale.. or a stout.. or
anything with flavor, but not so much on the wheat beers...

sooooo, now i understand why ronjohn feels uncomfortable... :cool:

good read, 6-6. thanks.

you can never talk too much about beer.

So what category does Bud/Miller/Coors fall into?
After many many MANY kegs' worth, I finally realized that I didn't really
care for that "beer".

My current preference is a nice hoppy Pale Ale.. or a stout.. or
anything with flavor, but not so much on the wheat beers...
Those are lagers. Just a plain old lager. Sometimes called an "american light lager" because of it's color. Some because of flavor and ingredients, Coors, Heinekin, Rolling Rock among others, border on being a pilsner, but most mass produced american beers are lagers. For two reasons really, they are inexpensive to make, and they are fast to make. Cheap and easy. And the end result shows it :LOL:

A truly great IPA, very hoppy and full bodied, is the IPA made by Flying Dog, Sierra Nevada also reigns over the Pale ales as one of the finest. Another must try, but be prepared for the bite (you've been warned) Is Stone Brewing Co.'s IPA or their Arrogant Bas***d Ale, whose slogan is "You're Not Worthy" A tremendous kick of hops, and a thrashing of the tongue with every gulp. 11.9% alc (Bud is 3.2 by contrast) and I've only seen it in 20 oz bottles. Use extreme caution and do the math. One 12 oz bud = 3.2%. One stone Arrogant is nearly twice as big, and four times as strong. That like drinking 8 buds.

As for stouts. Of course being a good Irish boy, I am honor bound to Guinness. :LOL: However, Youngs Chocolate stout is tremendous, and if ou don't feel like paying 4 bucks a bottle, pay 7 and get a whole six pack of Sam Adams Cream Stout. As a side note, If you mix half and half Young's and Guinness it creates a treat that tastes like drinking a rootbeer float made with chocolate Ice cream...

Sweet! They used to call those "beer pigs" By the time they rolled out, I was already well (too well for most people :LOL:) set up. I was always a little curious about them though. Does it work well? Beer come out ok? Easy to do? Might be nice to set one up just for some quick beer in small batches. Right now I keg my beer in pony kegs. It's a lot of work that way, and it might be nice to have something easy.

Sweet! They used to call those "beer pigs" By the time they rolled out, I was already well (too well for most people :LOL:) set up. I was always a little curious about them though. Does it work well? Beer come out ok? Easy to do? Might be nice to set one up just for some quick beer in small batches. Right now I keg my beer in pony kegs. It's a lot of work that way, and it might be nice to have something easy.

It 'OK' and I brew a batch on occasion. Takes about 10 days from start to finish. The key is fresh ingredients.

Well, I have found a birthday present request! A Beer Pig! LOL

66210 ;), I have sampled most of those brews, and they are great.
My usual, in the price range I am willing to pay, has been Saranac's Pale Ale,
but I think Redhook's Iron Hammer is a bit better. Course, around here, all
"specialty or microbrew" beers have just had a HUGE price increase... along the
lines of $1.00 or more per six pack. WAHHHHH!
So the really nice IPAs and other brews only pass my lips on special occasion.
Hey, today is Thursday! That's special, isn't it?????? ;):LOL:

I too like beer... mostly IPA's .. but it is winter and stouts go good in the winter.

Some of my favorites right now are: Not including Belgian Ales...

Dogfish Head Brewery
90 minute Imperial IPA
Ale
Indian Brown Ale
Strong Ale
Palo Salto

Clipper City Brewery
Loose Cannon
Winter Storm

Victory Brewery
Hop Devil
Hop Wallop
I like their stouts too
Storm King

Lagunitas Brewery
a long list of these...
Kill ugly radio
Maximus
IPA
some others
I like some of their Ales too
Hairy eyeball
Censored (Kronik)
Sirius (this is my favorite Creme ale ever)
Stout
Cappuccino Stout

Alagash Brewery
Ales
Four
Triple
Black
Left Hand Brewery
Stout
Imperial Stout

North Coast Brewery
Ale
Pranqster
Brother Thelonius
Stout
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (especially the 10th anniversary Barrel aged stout)

around here, all
"specialty or microbrew" beers have just had a HUGE price increase

Having just moved from somewhere between Zebulon and Wilson, I know what you mean. Just head down to the Hi5 on Glenwood, or the Flying Saucer, right around the corner and bottoms up! I swear beer is cheaper in bars than it is in the Grocery stores there.

Gadget, Victory HopWallop Rocks! All Dogfish brews rule as well. Never been a fan of Lagunitas, you'd think as a judge, I'd be able to nail it right on the head, but nope. Just not my cup-o-hops I guess. Great list though. Nice to know we have some serious afficianados here..... Wait till we get to my tasting post tomorrow... ;)

Gadget, Victory HopWallop Rocks! All Dogfish brews rule as well. Never been a fan of Lagunitas, you'd think as a judge, I'd be able to nail it right on the head, but nope. Just not my cup-o-hops I guess. Great list though. Nice to know we have some serious afficianados here..... Wait till we get to my tasting post tomorrow... ;)

btw.. I like your primer... good stuff...

Lagunitas Maximus is a beer that both my Valentine bride and I both like though she would just as quickly order a Blue Moon, Saxo, Lagunitas White, Karma, Petrus, or any wheat beer.

edited --- You must give that Lagunitas Sirius a try...so good, so right

Last edited:
Thanks!!!
I used to brew my own beer 10-15 years ago.
After reading your primer, I believe I might have to try my hand at it again!
Mrs Hoot rolls her eyes at me and says,
"Here we go again!" :LOL:
I prefer stout or a porter, but I am quite fond of IPA.
I look forward to more of your primer!!

Hey SixSix, I was tempted to attempt to get my own saucer on the wall at Flying Saucer!
LOL! What a wonderful task. :)

Back
Top Bottom