Green Vidalia Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Speaking of onions. . . . in another month or so, "green" Vidalias will start showing up in the markets here & I was wondering what Vidalia fans who buy them do with them?

For those who might not know what I'm talking about, "Green Vidalias" are essentially baby Vidalia onions - as in a golf-ball-size bulb & a large thick scallion-type top.

The last time I bought them I just chopped them all up & sauteed them with some mushrooms & sherry for a steak topping, but I was wondering if anyone has other ideas for them.

Hey there Breeze,
I'm only a lil bit north of you, but I haven't seen them in my parts of the woods. Maybe I should check Wegmanns or Whole Foods.
Let us know when they come around, I'd love to try them. Probably be great in a fresh stir fry or minced into a crab dip, or anything that you would use scallions in.

Actually, I find them most frequently at the regular Giant supermarkets. They're lovely fresh young things. Like I said, a bunch of golf-ball-size bulbs with long thick green tops. And while I'm currently having an Alzheimer moment & can't recall the brand, it's the original big-time commercial Vidalia grower on the tag.

My husband isn't an onion-lover, so I normally buy them just for myself, but aside from chopping them all up & sauteeing for steak & baked potato topping, I'm trying to think of how best to use them in other things. Things that would excentuate their young freshness, as opposed to recipes that could use any old onion.

Do they look like these (2nd from the top)?

Onion Varieties

Scallions on steroids? lol

I know you wanted specific recipes for this type of onion, but this is one of my fave onion recipe go-to sites:

Idaho-Eastern Oregon Onions - Onion Recipes, Onion Shippers, Spanish, Red, White, Yellow Onions

The onions may be too small, but the spinach/bacon/cheese stuffed onions sound delish, as does the cornbread/onion casserole.

Onion Recipes | Idaho-Eastern Oregon Onions - Spanish Onions, Yellow Onions, Bloomin' Onion

First thng that came to mind was onion soup. If I recall, there's a recipe on this site for Vidalia Onion Casserole.

Last edited:
Yes Amy, they are definitely Vidalias, but even a bit younger/smaller than that. Bulbs are no larger than a golf ball & the green tops are still more scallion-like. They haven't developed the onion "neck" yet that the ones in that photo have. Definitely too small for stuffing.

Depending on where they come from, sometimes they're tagged as "Green Vidalias", sometimes as "Baby Vidalias". While not as sweet as mature Vidalias, they're still not as sharp as regular yellow onions. Just sort of young, fresh, & tangy. They just scream "Spring" - lol!!

Hope some of the suggestions are helpful. No matter the size, I would treat them as scallions or use in any onion recipe. Onion soup w several types of onions. A salad or sauce would bring out the freshness/taste of the onions. I stir fry whole green onions/scallions w/o chopping them up (yes, I know these are larger than scallions) & serve over rice as a side to i.e. beef & broc. There's a recipe I have for onions in onions -but the inside onions are smaller - boiler size onions. You can make onion soup in onion bowls - core out the centers of large onions, and serve your onion soup inside the onion "bowls".

Thanks Amy - certainly a lot of "food for thought". Now I just have to patient until they appear on the market again this year!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom