Pancake Throw Down and Pancake week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef

Pancake Throw Down without Bobby Flay. David Cottrell is your humble cook, chief judge and bottle washer.

I told Goodweed of the North and CharlieD that I would do a throw down of their pancake recipes, one against the other and provide feedback. Just as I suspected would happen, they are both winners but with some subtle differences which should be respected to have the best of the best with either.

Starting with Goodweed’s: his are very light, just as described “melt in your mouth.” To obtain this status please follow his instructions exactly. Goodweed’s pancakes are at their very best with classic American breakfast foods and with pure maple syrup – none of that artificial stuff please. They are at the top of their game hot off the griddle or out of the pan, right then. Have everything ready and warm; plates, any sausages, eggs, whatever, and be sure to have the butter at room temperature and the real maple syrup hot and ready to go.

CharlieD’s are also exactly as described and with a subtle difference. They are a touch more dense – not tough, oh no - slightly more “to the tooth” - and don’t demand as much delicate treatment as Goodweed’s. Because of this, pile up a warm serving plate with the pancakes and have at it. Rather than maple syrup they go best with sour cream and jams. For this reason they are more versatile, good with most any meal, as part of the main course or as a desert, or as a snack.

They are good out of the refrigerator; I just store in a zippy bag and heat up in the microwave. Goodweed’s don’t age as graciously but they aren’t supposed to.

I’m pleased with the results – now to their recipes and instructions, with a minor hint or two from me.

Goodweed’s World Famous Pancakes!

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbls sugar or Splenda Sweetener
1 tbls double acting baking powder (Calumet or Clabber Girl are both brands)

Wet Ingredients:
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
3 tbls cooking oil

Preheat a griddle over medium heat (Finding the right spot might take a trial; too cool not done, too hot burned. The heat can be especially important with sugar in the mix. D)

Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir with the whisk until you form a batter with little lumps in it.

Lightly oil the griddle and place three tbls of batter in each corner to form four pancakes. (I used the largest nonstick heavy bottom fry pan my daughter had and used two tbls of batter to make four pancakes at a time. D) Cook until bubbles begin to break on top of each pancake.

Tip: It’s best to cook the side dishes (sausage, ham, or bacon) before cooking the pancakes and keep them warm in the oven. Serve the pancakes immediately after they are cooked. Enjoy.

Tip 2: Tip 2: To take these pancakes over the top, sprinkle fresh blueberries on top of the pancakes after first placing on the griddle, before they have a chance to cook. Then, cook as directed above.

(Do take Goodweed of the North’s tips very seriously! D)

CharlieD’s Ukrainian Style Pancakes

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup yogurt
1 egg (large D)
1-2 tsp baking soda (“killed” with approximately, very approximate D) 1-2 tbls vinegar. (I used Caulmet for both recipes. D)

(Preheat the griddle or pan – again it might take a trial to find the right heat. D)

Pour vinegar over baking soda until reaction stops. Mix wets into drys. Simple

CharlieD’s tips:

Sugar is optional, but I do not like to add it because sugar kind of makes it so they burn easier. (That is the reason for the heat sensitivity of Goodweed’s.)
If doubling or tripling cut down on eggs, same with salt.
Also, they taste better if fried in oil, not too much but I like to have bottom of pan oiled.
You can add a little bit of oil directly into the batter mix. I don’t do it.
I use plain yogurt. Seems to work better, but kids like vanilla or raspberry better You should experiment. (I used vanilla flavored. D)
Also, you can grate some apple into the mixture.

Serve with sour cream and some jam or jelly.

It is completely different texture than your typical American pancakes. (Agreed and a delightful difference! D)

(Charlie has photos posted in the DC gallery – the slightly oblong look of his pancakes is because he (and I) used a large spoon to ladle into the pan. D)

Pancake week in Ukraine this year of 2008 is, I believe, from February 12 to February 18. Almost missed it! Here is a link to read about this rather old pre- Christian celebration that has been merged from pagan days into the Christian calendar. Enjoy!

http://www.inyourpocket.com/feature/56131-Maslyana.html

Awesome job, David!

Here's something pancake related - when you have leftover pancakes, heat them the next day on a cookie sheet in the oven - They have a crispier coat, but they're quite nice, and the syrup doesn't soak in too much :)

I still can't believe Bobby Flay beat the pie ladies, but his pie sure did look good!

Good job, gonna have to do this myself but I am not allowed too many pancakes on any given day, too many carbs! LOL.

Wow! David; I believe you did justice to both recipes, showing their respective qualities and weaknesses. You were a fair and equitable judge with great narrative abilities. Thanks for the throwdown. Are you up for a roasted turkey recipe throwdown? I am.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hutho, What have I done?

Wow! David; I believe you did justice to both recipes, showing their respective qualities and weaknesses. You were a fair and equitable judge with great narrative abilities. Thanks for the throwdown. Are you up for a roasted turkey recipe throwdown? I am.:LOL:

No!:( Thanks Goodweed but No!, I've just barely passed pancakes 101!:ermm::)

CharlieD's right - we would have to go pie against pie or cake against cake. Trouble is I'm not a baker but working on CharlieD's version of the Lemonnik, a three layer and the same idea but with another Ukrainian classic Lemonnik - a fifteen layer torte. Don't know about this but it's a challenge to go into another cusine.

On the other hand I also really like Key Lime pies, got to learn to do good pie crusts first.

Anyone willing to submit a keylime pie recipe? Let's give this some thought, all you DC bakers and pie experts! A throwdown? You choose two - pie against pie, you and family and friends are the judges of which is better.

Key-Lime Pie

No marangue is required for this deliscious pie. It is an easy recipe to make. Just don't over-bake it or it can get a bit chewey.

Ingredients:
Crust
16 graham crackers, crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) margarine or butter

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix all ingediests together and press into a nine inch pie pan.
Bake for for 10 - 12 minutes until just starting to brown. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.

Filling ingredieants:
4 large or extra large egg yolks
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (or use the smae amount from a bottel)
2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only
Whipping cream for garnish (optional)

Use you mixer or food processor to beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow. Now it's time to add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn the mixer speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is completely blended in, add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes.

Serve with a bit of whipped cream and enjoy.

...they are more versatile, good with most any meal, as part of the main course or as a desert, or as a snack. ...

A little coment about this. Did I mention grated apple adition? If not you can add some into batter. Also drop the sugar, use plain yougurt or better yet buttermlik, add some grated zukini and you have a side dish for your chicken or meat. It could be carrots, or pretty much any other vegetables. Also simply do not add any sugar and maybe add a bit more salt and again you have a side dish.

I still like using banana-walnut muffin mix with a little bisquick added to make pancakes. What a great flavor.. the bisquick lightens them up a bit.

CharlieD’s Ukrainian Style Pancakes

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup yogurt
1 egg (large D)
1-2 tsp baking soda (“killed” with approximately, very approximate D) 1-2 tbls vinegar. (I used Caulmet for both recipes. D)

(Preheat the griddle or pan – again it might take a trial to find the right heat. D)

Pour vinegar over baking soda until reaction stops. Mix wets into drys. Simple
I have to ask, what is the point of mixing the baking soda and vinegar? Is that not going to waste the leavening action too soon?

On the opposite. Baking soda, unlike baking powder, alone doesn't have any leavening abilities; it needs a sour environment to work.

On the opposite. Baking soda, unlike baking powder, alone doesn't have any leavening abilities; it needs a sour environment to work.

I understand the difference between baking powder and baking soda. What I am unclear about is why you "kill" the baking soda with the vinegar ahead of time.

Not wanting to miss out on my regular dose of cheesecake, and being a huge fan of key lime, but having limited time, and a request for both from friends...well...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... lol. Not sure if it's a fair comparison or not, but here it is. (and it's got a nice easy crust;))

Crust Ingredients:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
Filling Ingredients:
1 cup lime juice
1/4 cup water
2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream
Garnish Ingredients:
Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
Lime slices, if desired
1. Stir together all crust ingredients in medium bowl. Press on bottom of 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
2. Combine lime juice and water in 2-quart saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Add sugar, eggs and lime peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil (7 to 8 minutes). DO NOT BOIL. Set aside.
3. Combine butter and cream cheese in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding hot lime mixture and scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool (about 45 minutes).
4. Beat whipping cream in chilled small mixer bowl at high speed, scraping bowl often, until stiff peaks form (3 to 4 minutes). Fold into lime mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Cover; refrigerate until firm (3 to 4 hours). Loosen side of cheesecake from pan by running knife around inside of pan. Garnish top of cheesecake with whipped cream and lime slices.

Throwdown coming?

Looks like we are coming close to a key lime throwdown of some kind - Goodweed has a nice looking traditional type pie recipe and SixSix has this exceptional looking lime cheese cake. I like cheese cakes and key lime pies. I might throw in a third, Ukrainian style cheese cake with the lime.

Got to study this!:ermm:
Anybody else have a key lime type suggestion? :chef:

I understand the difference between baking powder and baking soda. What I am unclear about is why you "kill" the baking soda with the vinegar ahead of time.

I guess I am not quite sure what you asking. You are not killing anything. By adding vinegar you are starting the reaction that in turn will promote leavening process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom