Hello everybody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Good morning and greetings from Ireland! Busy Mum of two who loves to cook! Always in search of something new to try so really looking forward to ideas and help from the forum! Hope you are all well!:)

Questions for Douzer

Hello Douzer77, You're just in time - I'm comparing corned beef recipes and tips - looking for the authentic deal. And Irish soda bread - I've made it once, kinda dense. Didn't break any teeth but...:)

Looking forward to your input on these weighty matters!:ermm: Thanks

welcome douzer.

whereabouts in ireland do you hail from?

i'm hoping to go back to balbriggan this year, to visit a buddy, and travel up to belfast, and down and across to leitrim and mayo, where my dad was from.

oh, btw david, corned beef is american. douzer might have a recipe for boiled bacon and cabbage and spuds.

Yes Buckytom can certainly help out on the bacon and cabbage with spuds and also could throw in the receipe for soda bread but would have to ask mother in law bout the corned beef!

I'm from the home of Irish Rugby, Munster down south. You really are going to be doing a lot of travelling when you come here! Hope the summer turns out to be a bit better than last years! think it rained everyday from May - September!

Soda Bread

Ingredients
450g (1lb) plain white flour, preferably unbleached
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (Bread soda)
400ml (14fl oz) buttermilk

Directiosn

1. Preheat the oven to 230º Centigrade/400º Fahrenheit /Gas Mark 9. (must be very very hot!!!!)

2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large, wide bowl, and make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk. (I don't always use all the milk, start off with half amount and add slowly till its not too wet) Using the fingers of one hand, stiff and oustretched like a claw, stir from the centre to the edge of the bowl in concentric circles. The dough should be softish, but not too wet and sticky. When it all comes together, turn out on to a well-floured work surface.

3. Pat (with cleaned hands!!!) the dough into a tidy shape and flip over gently, then pat it into a round about 4cm (1 and 1/2 inches) thick. Gently transfer to a floured baking tray. Cut a deep cross into the loaf and prick the centre of each quarter to 'let the fairies out'.

4. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200ºC/370ºF/Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 30 minutes or until cooked. If you are in doubt tap the bottom of the bread: it should sound hollow. Cool on a wire rack. Soda bread is best eaten on the day it is made.
It also freezes very well!!!!!
Did take me a couple of times to get it right but an old master told me that my oven wasn't hot enough!

copied and printed, thanks douzer! :chef:

my dad talks of the days of an a$$ and cart, or walking miles to another town for a caile.

the itinerary i described is the same i did in '03, in a rented car out of dublin airport. wow, what a trip that was pulling right out onto the m1, on the wrong side of the car ;), on the wrong side of the road, driving stick shift lefthanded.
once i got used to the motorways between dublin and derry, i then got the experience of occasional ditch driving, avoiding farm machinery on the rural roads down through enniskillen and ballinamore.

anyway, welcome and thanks again.

From Irish Brick to Irish Bread

Thanks Douzer - I have the Irish Bread copied and saved. I wasn't doing it correctly at all. It's a wonder it was edible. Now for another try with confidence!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom