Tofu???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
making tofu tommorow... want something different. i refuse to make a stir fry. I was hoping to do something different then baking it or stir frying it.

maybe battered and deep fried or just deep fried? i think crispy outside would be a nice change.

suggestions welcomed! :chef:

Deep fried with spicy peanut sauce or Thai sweet chili sauce. Deep fried & thrown into Pad Thai. Deep fried & put into an Asian salad. It's all good!:chef:

years ago, we used to make tofu croutons. I dont remember exactly how to make it, but i remember we would cut the tofu up into small cubes, put them in a bag filled with spices ( if we were in the mood for indian, we would use cumin,curry,salt ... mexican we would use chili powder,salt ....) then shake the bag up so the tofu was completely covered, spread them out on a non stick pan, spray with a little pam, and cook at a low heat until kinda crisp on the outside. I havnt made it in years( like 20 years) so im sure im forgetting something, but im sure u get the idea. It made a nice snack.

My Mongoloian recipe is excellent with tofu as the "meat" ingredient.

Mongolian Stir Fry

Ingredients:

1 pound Flank steak or lean pork, sliced thin; chicken, turkey or tofu, cubed; or shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and deveined
peanut oil for frying
1 small onion or shallot, sliced thin
4 oz snow peas
4 oz Green onion, green part only
4 oz button mushrooms
2 cloves finely minced garlic

Coating:

1 Egg white
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cornstarch

Sauce:

1 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Turbinado Sugar
1 tsp Chinese chili sauce
2 Tbs dry Sherry, white wine, or rice wine
2 Tbs Hoisin sauce
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 cup beef, chicken, shrimp, or vegetable stock

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside. Combine egg white, salt and cornstarch, add meat, shrimp or tofu, and mix well to coat. Heat 2 Tbs oil in wok over high heat, then stir fry meat, shrimp or tofu until just cooked through and remove from wok. Add additional Tbs peanut oil to wok and stir fry onion or shallot, and snow peas, and for 1 minute. Add green onion, mushrooms and garlic and continue stir-frying until mushrooms are tender. Add sauce to vegetables and heat until sauce has thickened. Add meat, shrimp or tofu and stir until heated through.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... i went with a crispy tofu (drained, dusted with cornstarched then deep fried) in a sweet chili sauce of rice and veggies

img_552401_0_de2ad0fcf165478d2b79b224144be227.jpg

as you can see the results were good... :chef:

img_552401_1_fc55d4ef0c655aadde26f302b5b8c81c.jpg

Last edited:
U could wrap it in spring roll wrappers with some veggies cut into matchsticks and some chicken if u want. Then fry this.
Serve it with a sweet and sour or sweet sour and hot dip.

Dip example. No need to cook. Just combine the ingredients.
Lemon juice
Sugar or honey
Soya sauce
Vinegar
Chillies(optional)
Black pepper(optional)
Salt if u are using a sweet soya sauce rather than a salty tasting one.
Minced garlic(optional)
Minced spring onions(optional)
Minced fresh ginger or powdered ginger(optional)

Mel

Last edited:
Here's an adaptation of a popular simple Filipino tofu dish called Tokwa't Baboy, literally means Firm Tofu and Pork.

Toss everything together in a bowl and serve immediately with rice or congee:

1 C Deep-fried julienned firm tofu
1/8 C Chopped celery leaves
1/8 C Chopped red onions or shallots
1/8 C Stir-fried cubed pork belly
Dressing made from 2 T Soy sauce + 1 T Vinegar + Dash sugar

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom