ISO pasta for chicken alfredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summerf

Assistant Cook
Hi, For dinner tonight I am going to cook chicken alfredo for the first time. I have several types of pasta on hand but I don't know which would be the best to use. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Summer:rolleyes:

Whatever you have on hand will serve in a pinch but I vote for long thin pasta such as fettucine, linguine, spaghetti...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was just waiting a bit for confirmation - but I knew everyone would have a different favorite.

I'd say that I would use most anything, including tortellini. Angel hair would work but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Hi, For dinner tonight I am going to cook chicken alfredo for the first time. I have several types of pasta on hand but I don't know which would be the best to use. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Summer:rolleyes:

Hi Summer. For a thicker sauce like alfredo, I would use a thicker noodle, i.e. fettucinne or linguine (already mentioned). Ziti or penne would be my next choice.

Last edited:
I haven't had too much luck with spaghetti noodles or angel hair either, but that is just me ;)
I like the suggestions of Penne and Tortellini...

I pretty much use Radiatore for everything. As a second choice I would say Penne.

For alfredo, I'd do fettucini or in a pinch linguini. But, in fact, if it tastes good to you, go for it! Angel hair is one of my favorite pastas, but I wouldn't pair it with a cream sauce.

When I make alfredo, I tend to use bow tie pasta. It's simpler to cook and it's easier for my boys to get on the fork.

I like fettucini for a long noodle, but as the last post mentioned, I've been using smaller rounder ones lately because it's easier for the kids to handle. And they think the different shapes are fun! I use a different one every time. Radiatore are great, they are small yet alot of sauce gets into all the little grooves. Medium shells are good too.

imho angel hair is too fine for creamy sauces. I find the strands get stuck together. Fettuccine is traditional for Alfredo, but Spaghetti or Linguine have enough body to stand up to the sauce. For a shorter pasta, I kinda like Strozzapreti. If you aren't familiar with that shape, keep an eye out. Rustichella d'Abruzzo makes it (and exports it to US). one of my favorite shapes. :)

A newbie question: what is Alfredo chicken?

Cheers, Michele

Michele, it's a decidedly American adaptation of what probably started out in Italy, altho Alfredo Viazzi, who is credited with the invention of Fettuccine Alfredo, had a restaurant in New York for a long time, so maybe it's Italian-American all the way? Whatever it is, it sure tastes good! :D

Michele, it's a decidedly American adaptation of what probably started out in Italy, altho Alfredo Viazzi, who is credited with the invention of Fettuccine Alfredo, had a restaurant in New York for a long time, so maybe it's Italian-American all the way? Whatever it is, it sure tastes good! :D

I never tried, but sounds good! Bon appetit!

imho angel hair is too fine for creamy sauces. I find the strands get stuck together. Fettuccine is traditional for Alfredo, but Spaghetti or Linguine have enough body to stand up to the sauce. For a shorter pasta, I kinda like Strozzapreti. If you aren't familiar with that shape, keep an eye out. Rustichella d'Abruzzo makes it (and exports it to US). one of my favorite shapes. :)
I will keep an eye out for it ,sounds interesting.

Back
Top Bottom