ISO help/recipe for "Hobo Pie"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so when I was a kid my mom used to take hamburger patties, a potato, a carrot, some frozen corn, a few onion slices, wrap it up in aluminum foil and cook it for dinner. She did it in the oven and it was really good. Nothing fancy, just good "comfort" food. I want to do it tonight for dinner but I don't know what time and temp to try it at. Anyone ever hear of such a thing in the oven and how long would you cook it for and at what temp.

Funny, that's what I'm having for dinner tonight, sans the hamburger. I think the potatoes will probably take the longest to cook, 30-40 minutes I'm guessing.

Miss Calli, I've made a jillion of these things in a campfire...never in an oven. I think vyapti is correct in saying the potatoes will take the longest. So I'm guessing pre-heat your oven to 350*, and go for it. Check them in thirty minutes, and go from there. I've always made little small bite size meat balls out of the hamburger so they would be sure to cook through and through!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Thanks!! I just remembered my mom's had lima beans. I don't think those would fly with my daughter :LOL: I'll be lucky at this point if she doesn't throw the carrots at me.

It took about 45 minutes at 350. I wrapped some asparagus in foil and put it in about half way through. There were no leftovers.

Wow my title changed and I certainly didn't need/wasn't "ISO a recipe". Had one, just missing the time/temp. At worst I forgot two ?? but I certainly didn't even recognize my own thread with that title.

Last edited:
There may be members who are unfamiliar with what you were asking about and might be interested in it. I know I was. I've never heard of Hobo Pie.
Okay, I guess I understand that. The ISO thing threw me for a loop. Maybe "Have a recipe, just missing something" might be more appropriate. ??

Good point. That's where the ISO "help" part comes in.
In my previuos line of work ISO was a rating you gave: "[SIZE=-1]International Standards Organization" and products were rated so that ISO really threw me. My jewelry my dad just brought back is ISO certified. [/SIZE]

DH's family used to make these when he was growing up. When they had them for dinner they were allowed to sit on the floor and watch tv as they ate.

If you are pushed for time when cooking you could start the potatoes in the microwave before putting them in the oven.

Well, I finally looked at this now that the title is changed! I've had what we called Hobo dinners while camping and I figured it was just another recipe for that - so I never bothered to look. The ISO made me realize you were looking for, or needed help with, this recipe. That was a good call to change the title and that's what we do - have the title reflect the content. :chef:

I would venture to say that about 1 hour sounds right. Just don't make the hamburger patty too, too big. When we made Hobo dinners it's the same as you Callisto - meat (I think we must have used stew beef though), potatoes, carrots, onion, celery. It was QUITE tasty!

Well, I did a beef patty, potatoes and carrots with some onions. My daughter was scared to death of it but when she tried it, she loved it. I used a meat thermometer for the burger meat which was good because mine was not done at the 45 minute mark but hers was. Mom never did that with ours. I'm seriously surprised I never died from my mother's cooking.

The corn was a little mushy but the flavor was great. I'm glad I tried this tonight.

I'm glad it turned out! Those tinier, more delicate vegetables, I'm sure don't fair well! I was ALWAYS hating the night we made this during a Campfire Girl camping trip. And I ALWAYS loved it once it was done! Did it produce any gravy?

It was definitely juicy. I actually missed my mom's lima beans in it but I knew my daughter would never go for those so the corn had to suffice. I think with a higher grade beef (mine was 73/27) it would have a different juice/gravy. This was good though and daughter ate it all.

Here's a recipe from Paula Deen's show that you might like:

HOBO Hamburgers

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 Cup cracker crumbs
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Cup grated cheese (I think she used cheddar cheese in this)
1/2 Cup chopped green pepper
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 TBSP Lady's House Seasoning (recipe follows)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 Med. red potatoes, sliced thin
1 Large onion, sliced thin
4 Carrots, peeled and cut into strips

In a large bowl combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, egg, lemon juice, cheese, green pepper, onion, house seasoning and cayenne pepper. Mix well and form into patties.

Place each pattie on a well greased (use non-stick spray) piece of heavy duty aluminum foil (big enough to cover and close in all ingredients).

On each pattie, place potato slices, an onion slice, and carrots. Seal aluminum foil tightly, place on a cookie sheet and cook in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for approximately 1 1/2 hours.

HOUSE SEASONING

1 Cup salt
1/4 Cup black pepper
1/4 Cup garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and store in an air tight container.
Keeps for 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

I've made these a few times and really liked them. Hope you like it as well.:)

Back
Top Bottom