ISO help making balsamic reduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryankimjade

Assistant Cook
I just got back from vacation in Arizona, where I tried duck for the first time. It was great. Served with mashed potatoes vegetables and a balsamic reduction which I loved. Now I understand that this is balsamic vinegar reduced, but I'm not really sure how to do it. Do you just pour the vinegar in a pan and let it reduce? Is there anything else that goes in it? Has anyone ever tried this before? Would love to hear any ideas on the subject.

If you do a Google Search on Balsamic Reduction you get a ton of recipes, short of it is that they have things like butter, garlic, and broth in them along with the vinegar. Here is one that looked pretty good to me:
Balsamic Reduction Recipe - Poultry - MyRecipes.com
To recreate the one you had, you would need to have a fair idea of the other flavors in it to determine the exact spices etc used in it.

Start out first with just reducing some balsamic - it's really good stuff. Once you taste it you will know if there was anything else involved.

Yes, just put some in a VERY small pot on about medium or so. Once it starts to thicken remove it from the heat. It will continue to thicken a bit. You don't want to have to chew it! :LOL:

It's GREAT drizzled on fresh Brussels sprouts, cut in half. First drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, drizzle with the balsamic, roast in oven on about 375 until they are browned and roasted but not crispy, of course.

I just got back from vacation in Arizona, where I tried duck for the first time. It was great. Served with mashed potatoes vegetables and a balsamic reduction which I loved. Now I understand that this is balsamic vinegar reduced, but I'm not really sure how to do it. Do you just pour the vinegar in a pan and let it reduce? Is there anything else that goes in it? Has anyone ever tried this before? Would love to hear any ideas on the subject.

Here's an idea (adding brown sugar) for a Faux Aged Balsamic.

Anytime Balsamic Shrimp

Thanks to all who gave advice on the balsamic reduction question. Have found many recipes and will try some this weekend. I am so glad that I found this website it is the best. Kim

Reduce to Liquor, Expand to Sauce

I'm a novice at best, but I've tried numerous recipes from cookbooks, mags & websites. A common theme (For Generally Clear Sauces) seems to be a reduction to thicken & burn off aromatics/alcohols if present. The thickened reduction is really concentrated in flavor. This usually follows with adding broth to build the sauce back in quantity again.

I'd really like to get other's views on this & I humbly solicit any comments/advice, as well.:)

Balsamic vinegar can be as fluid as water. It can be aged expensive and have the viscosity of honey. When you sip the ones over 10 years old it is like a magical liquor. MDW and I use just a light drizzle of 20 year old and EVOO on our salad. The joke is we won't retire because we couldnt afford the balsamic vinegar.

I buy about about a pint bottle at Marshalls for under 10.00 (unaged) or so and reduce it in a windsor pot not adding anything it is good. Pan seared salmon drizzled with balsamic reduction is tasty too.
FYI have a bottle of chocolate balsamic that we tried with fruit for dessert. Didn't wow us.

...FYI have a bottle of chocolate balsamic that we tried with fruit for dessert. Didn't wow us.

Chocolate balsamic - I'm intrigued. Bet that would be delish over ice cream and/or strawberries. Sorry it was disappointing. Now, I'm on a quest for choc balsamic homemade or store bought. Sounds yummy.

Back
Top Bottom