Chicago Cutlery Kyoto Redux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
I just wanted to give a heads-up to potential purchasers of the Chicago Cutler Kyoto knives. Fellow DC member Pellidon started a thread about a Kyoto utility knife that had the handle break after a short fall. After discussing it and rereading the entire thread I decided to carefully inspect my Kyoto block...lo and behold, most of them have very fine hairline cracks running the length of the handles! The handles are very dark and the cracks are very small; I guess that's why I never noticed before.

Some of you may recall that I bought the block just before Xmas totally on a goof. My opinion of Chicago Cutlery has been pretty low over the years, but I liked the edge on the Kyoto and decided to see if they were worthwhile. Well, after a few months of use I still like the blades but I cannot recommend the Kyoto line overall. There are some serious QC issues, and even though they're pretty cheap and cut well I think a buyer has a right to expect them not to crack withing a few months! A few of the cracked ones have never even been used!

Sadly, the Kyoto line has confirmed my low opinion of CC.:yuk:

Kyotos have pakkawood handles do they not? Perhaps they were never stabilized. Too bad to hear about this. I have a 30 year old CC block set and the handles are perfect. My secret - tung oil.

Back
Top Bottom