Baking with a Pain de mie...a pain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No Clue

Assistant Cook
I decided to bake a loaf of wheat bread (recipe from the king arthur website) using a pain de mie. Everything appeared to be proceeding like it should (rise times, etc) until I took the lid off and the bread had deflated in the center/middle of the pan. I have baked regular loafs of bread before without this happening. What did I do wrong?

I have several pain de mie pans and bake bread in them regularly with no problem. Since you used a recipe from their site, you might want to call the King Arthur folks at 1-800-827-6836 and ask to speak to one of their resident bakers. I have called them in the past with help/questions and they have always been extremely helpful.

I have several pain de mie pans and bake bread in them regularly with no problem. Since you used a recipe from their site, you might want to call the King Arthur folks at 1-800-827-6836 and ask to speak to one of their resident bakers. I have called them in the past with help/questions and they have always been extremely helpful.

Thanks for the number, I'll give it a try and see what they say.

Thanks for the number, I'll give it a try and see what they say.

I called the hotline and they seemed to think I let the bread rise too long. I went pretty much by the recipe and the bread was looking like it was doing what it was supposed to do but I'll slip it in the oven a little sooner next time and try it.

Back
Top Bottom