Substitute for eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
My stove top macaroni and cheese recipe calls for 2 eggs, but I don't have any. What can I use instead? Thanks!

I've never seen a Mac & Cheese recipe with eggs. Are the eggs there to bind it together? Can you post the recipe to help us offer suggestions for substitutions?

I've never seen a Mac & Cheese recipe with eggs. Are the eggs there to bind it together? Can you post the recipe to help us offer suggestions for substitutions?

Here you go...courtesy of Alton Brown:

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

Hmmm... usually you see eggs in baked mac and cheese not stovetop.

Generally you can leave them out but that's when you make it with a mornay sauce, not the way he is making it.

At any rate, there isn't a substitute in this case. So you can either take your chances and leave them out or look up a different recipe.

I am not sure what the eggs do in Alton's recipe, but they are used as an emulsifier, among many other things.

But I agree with Jenny, I think you will wind up with a product you are not happy with if you leave it out.

But if you have some flour in the pantry, well, gosh, just make up a batch using the oft used becemel and cheese.

If you have the flour handy you can make a great mac and cheese.

I'm not sure if this is just for baking recipes, but I use half a teaspoon baking powder and two tablespoons water.

Hi Chave982,
As far as I see it, what you`re are trying to do is make a basic macaroni with a cheese sauce, bake it, served it hot and sit back and let the plaudits come.

The critical issue is how much sauce should be created for how much pasta? Work on a half pint of cheese sauce for 50 gms/2 oz uncooked pasta.

All the best,
Archiduc

Ok well I tried the recipe word for word but without the eggs, and it came out great! Guess they weren't needed after all... Thanks for the help, though!

Back
Top Bottom