What else do you have with meatloaf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I thought I'd never ever say this, I, Suzi, am tired of mashed potatoes. :ohmy:

I'm sure that will go away in a week or so. That said, I am making Ol' Blue's Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf for dinner. I've never made anything but mashed 'taters with meatloaf, to me they are like a married couple. I hate to break them up but.... :(

Any ideas? :huh:

Cut up some red potatoes and toss them with oil, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast at 400-450 F until done (about 35-45 minutes depending on size of potato pieces).

Place medium egg noodles on a cookie sheet and bake at 350F until they are a rich brown color. Careful, they burn fast once they start to brown. Cook the browned noodles, drain and toss with butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with grated parm if you like.

try with zucchini.
slice them thin then put in a pan with evoo salt a little white wine and few thin onion slice.
let them get "gold" and soft.
(about 10-15 minutes, dipends how thik are them)

Pilaf

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth or Beef Broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
DH likes it with mac and cheese. I like to make Italian green beans as another side - saute a couple cloves of garlic, add a can of diced tomatoes and some Italian herbs, simmer 15 minutes or so, mash a bit with the potato masher, stir in green beans, simmer another 5 minutes.

Place medium egg noodles on a cookie sheet and bake at 350F until they are a rich brown color. Careful, they burn fast once they start to brown. Cook the browned noodles, drain and toss with butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with grated parm if you like.
Sounds interesting, might give this a try.

oh, SQ, i think that you're pulling our legs---you're not really going to give up those taters and meatloaf--what's the difference???? But I'll play along nonetheless---of course rice and pasta are good subs. But you're not going to eat those instead of potatoes. It's like pairing Ginger Rogers with Frank Sinatra.................... they're both good in what they do but you don't put them together.......... but if you're serious then rice is always a good substitute for the potatoes. Ok, I guess you know by now that I prefer potatos with meatloaf. Or rice. Either one is great in my books.

Pilaf

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth or Beef Broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
sounds good, thanks for sharing.

My kids always liked it with beef-flavored Rice-a-Roni.

You could get the same effect by cooking brown rice or a long grain/wild rice mix with beef broth and herbs of your choice.

squzie, my wife makes a kind of homefries to go with her meatloaf.

it's the same as if you were gonna make mashed, but instead of adding butter and milk and mashing the cooked chunks of taters, she just tosses them with salt and pepper.
i like to add some paprika, herbs, and minced shallots. when available, i also like to drizzle in some melted maple bacon grease. :pig:

It may stay potatoes, but rice sounds pretty good too. It would be something new thats for sure!
Maybe just a different kind of potato, then they are not mashed BUT I also don't break up meatloaf and potaotes all together, and my world will still turn. :)
Any idea how much longer potatoes take to roast at 350 (or meatloaf temp) than they do at 400 - 450? I would think they would take at least and hour or more. I always do them pretty high with nothing else in the oven.

...Any idea how much longer potatoes take to roast at 350 (or meatloaf temp) than they do at 400 - 450? I would think they would take at least and hour or more. I always do them pretty high with nothing else in the oven.

Not much longer. They will cook with the meatloaf and be ready when the meatloaf is. The difference is that at the higher temp, they will crisp up a bit.

Not much longer. They will cook with the meatloaf and be ready when the meatloaf is. The difference is that at the higher temp, they will crisp up a bit.

You could always put them up the grill for a few minutes at the end ofcooking to crisp them up.

I would go for boiled new potatoes or small salad potatoes (such as pink fir apple) tossed in some seasoned melted butter, or evoo for the more health conciuos.

Green beans and Mac & Cheese

at least that's what mom used to make.

( we don't eat meat loaf)

The crispy is the best part!!!! :) Maybe I'll throw them on the grill so I can get them to 450 then.

I'll make mac'n'cheese with my meatloaf on occasion. Another potato dish we like is a hash brown casserole. It's very close to the one served at Cracker Barrel. Also I like to make baby reds. I boil the baby reds in salt water (a cup of salt in two quarts of water) and when they are done drain. the salt will crystallize on the skins and it is the perfect amount. Serve with a bit of butter and sour cream.

HASH BROWN CASSEROLE

2 lbs frozen hash browns (shredded not cubed)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 c. melted butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup (can sub celery soup for vegetarians)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1-1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 pt. sour cream
Potato chips

Partially thaw potatoes. In large mixing bowl mix potatoes,salt, pepper, butter, soup and sour cream. Stir in onions and cheese. Place in greased 9x13 baking dish, Sprinkle top with crushed potato chips (I like to use sour cream onion chips) Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 mins.

Back
Top Bottom