Bible cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
recipe from a church cookbook from 1981. There was no name given for the recipe. Other recipes had names to give credit for recipes but not this one.

Psalm 55, v-21 1/4 cup butter
Jeremiah 6 , v-20 1 cup sugar
Jeremiah 17, v-11 1 egg
1st Kings 4, v-22 2 cups flour
Leviticus 2, v-13 1/2 teas. salt
Lamentations 4, v-7 3/4 cup milk
Galatians 5 v-9 2 1/2 teas. baking powder
Numbers 17, v-8 1 teas. almond flavoring.

Cream butter, add sugar, gradually cream together til fluffy. Add eggs, and beat thouroughly, stift dry ingredients together, add milk and flavoring.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

That's really interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a recipe like that before. Can't wait to try it out!

I don't understand. What do the bible verses have to do with the cake?

This cake is traditionally known as "Scripture Cake." The ingredients are found in the listed scriptures.

The recipe has been around for generations and it's origin is really not known. Some think it came from Europe. Others say it originated from the eastern shore of the United States. Wherever it came from, it's been enjoyed by many folks for a long, long time.

This cake is traditionally known as "Scripture Cake." The ingredients are found in the listed scriptures.

The recipe has been around for generations and it's origin is really not known. Some think it came from Europe. Others say it originated from the eastern shore of the United States. Wherever it came from, it's been enjoyed by many folks for a long, long time.

Katie, thanks for posting. I guess I should have explained when I originally posted the recipe. :)

thanks k.t.e..

never heard of it. i wondered about the galatians having baking powder, and it's really just loosely translated as a leavening agent.

Back
Top Bottom