Pears: Bartlett vs D'Anjou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
Could someone tell me what the taste differences are between Bartlett and D'Anjou pears? And are Bartlett pears not available this time of year on the East coast? I couldn't find any at the store.

I just tried a D'Anjou pear and was extremely disappointed with it. I will never buy one of those again. It tasted so horrible. I think it was tart or something. I'm not sure. I always eat pears before they ripen as I think they taste better that way. Maybe I should've let this one ripen?

Being from California where the fruit grows, you should let the fruit ripen so you can getthe true taste of it. Like going out in your yard and picking it off your tree when the fruitis ripe. a pear should be soft and juicy so you cand taste the sugar of the fruit, andBartlett is my very favorite.

I don't use D'Anjou for eating out of hand either. They are great roasted for a salad.

I find Bartlett are smoother while Danjou are a bit more pebbly textured. I prefer Bartletts although I do like the red pears and I'm not sure which they are. :)

Back
Top Bottom