Bottom Round Steak - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef
Before my daughter left at 3:00am today for her intensive care shift at the hospital she set out some "bottom round steaks" for me to fix for supper, which needs to be about 4:30pm. So I have about six hours to learn how to cook them, marinade and all if that is indicated. :ermm:

HELP! I have no clue. Would prefer not to shovel out the grill, so indoor cooking would be great today.

Thanks, D

David;
Bottom round can be tough, so braising them is the preferred method of cooking. If it were me, I would sear them individually in a skillet, deglaze said skillet with red wine or sherry, add some of any of the following (beef broth, beef stock, canned cream of mushroom soup, beef gravy) add some sliced mushrooms and onions,season, put into a large pot and put on low heat for 2-3- hours until tender. Great with rice or mashers.

Hi David,
I use bottom round when I make pasties..I cut it into small cubes along with potatoes and onions and encase in pilsbury pie curst if I'm in a hurry, a good sprinkle of salt and pepper to the meat mix brush the pastry with an egg wash and then bake the pastry half moons til the potatoes and meat are done ..I bake at 325-350
kadesma;)

Thanks Kades, never made these before, sounds very good.

Round steak can also be used for swiss steak, Just Google -round steak recipe", I am not fond of rnd.stk, so don't use it.

david, lay the steaks out flat on a cutting board, and jab the **** out of them on both sides with a fork for 2 minutes. do not stop, unles they start to tear. but you really have to tenderize them.

then marinate in a zip lock bag with a little evoo, a splash of balsamic vinegar, cracked black pepper, and a crushed clove of garlic. suck the excess air out of the bag.

about 25 minutes before serving, lay some aluminum foil down on the broiler tray, place tray in the middle slot (if steaks are 3/4 inch or thicker - closer if thinner), and fire it up to broil. let heat up about 5 minutes.
next, take the steaks, shaking off excess marinade, sprinkle with salt and put in the center of the broiler tray directly under the fire.

depending on the thickness, check them after about 4 minutes, to see if they just have a little browning going on. if so, flip them, and check the 2nd side after another 4 minutes. remove if both sides have color, and the meat is just firming up.
if they're not browned, at least on the egdes, move the tray closer to the fire, wait a minute, then flip the steaks, and check again in 3 to 4 minutes.

Thanks everyone - I think there are some good ideas shared so let's just let it run. I think I will go with our good North Carolina Bubba' suggestion. Anyone from North Carolina would surely know what I mean. :)

They are also good for swiss steak recipes as well. You can find gads of them if you google it.

Thanks again - you made me a hero! daughter wants these recipes and tips. When she asked how I made the steaks so tender I had to confess with help from some real nice people. I used Bubba's recipe but with buckytom's forking, and I mean well forked. I'm saving all the posts.

"Forked em good and proper, did you?" VaporTrail

Yes I did! Thought my hand had signed up for a beating itself. :) Now that we have discovered how good the bottom round can be I expect to see much more of it waiting in the freezer section for me. She is a single mom with two grade school children and does have to watch the budget.

I was wondering what I could use for a good fork that I could hold. Thanks for the tip VaporTrail!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom