Chinese Oven Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I cannot believe how great these oven ribs turned out!

I had three slabs of babyback ribs for 10 people, and a TON of other food. I think there were 7 ribs left!

Char Sui Marinade (adapted from Paul Kirk’s book, Champion Barbecue Sauces and Rubs) – for Chinese pork

Makes 1 ¼ cup

½ cup sugar
3 T sherry (dry or sweet – I use dry)
2 T soy sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 teas minced gingerroot
½ teas 5-spice powder
1 teas salt
½ teas (or more) red food coloring

In a bowl, dissolve sugar in the sherry and soy sauce. Add the hoisin sauce, ginger, 5-spice powder, salt and red food coloring. Blend well.

Marinate pork loin or ribs overnight. Roast, grill or smoke until just done.

I foiled 2 jelly roll pans and poured some water into them. Put racks over the pans and placed the ribs on the racks.

Roasted in the oven at 350 for a half hour, after which time I rotated the ribs on the oven racks (switched them, top to bottom), basted them with the leftover marinade that I'd simmered, and turned the oven down to 300 for another half hour.

At the end of the second half hour, I took the ribs out, basted them with more simmered sauce, then stacked them on top of each other and foiled them with heavy duty aluminum foil. I held them in a warm oven until we were ready to eat. Sliced and served.

Now I am wondering why I spent so much time messing with a smoker and cooking ribs outside! :) Kidding, because bbq'd ribs are wonderful, but so were these Chinese babies!

Lee

17charsiuribsbl3.jpg

By qsis, shot with Canon PowerShot S230 at 2008-03-02

Miss Lee.....

Had these for Sunday Dinner (noon) today sans food coloring. When I prepped them yesterday to marinate I sliced them (loin backs) first!
:ohmy: Oops! However they loved the marinade, and cooked beautifully!!

Two thumbs up from Uncle Bob's Test Kitchen!!! It's a winner!!!

Thanks for sharing........;)

So, UB, let me understand you: you cooked the sliced ribs in the oven, for a half hour at 350 and then another half hour at 300 and they turned out tender and juicy?

Lee

Miss Lee....

Once I realized Z-boo boo. Slicing before marinating and cooking. I went 325* down to 300* and maybe only 25 minutes the last time. Turned a couple of times. Tender and juicy?? Very tender with some chew.. not mushy tender. Not extremely juicy like your picture shows because all four sides of the rib were exposed to the marinade, heat, and carmelization of the sugars, not just two. The slab was one I picked up at a local yokel $2.99 on sale. Quality... meat to bone ratio..just fair. The recipe is solid!! Two thumbs up!! My product quality and execution of the recipe was not up to par. I never foiled. They went straight form the oven to a platter...Nothing but bones left. The "Kill Dawg" had a ball!!:LOL:

I always enjoyed making these. Still do, should do it again soon. I heat them on high (425+) for the last 5 minutes to really carmelize them.

Miss Lee....

Once I realized Z-boo boo. Slicing before marinating and cooking. I went 325* down to 300* and maybe only 25 minutes the last time. Turned a couple of times. Tender and juicy?? Very tender with some chew.. not mushy tender. Not extremely juicy like your picture shows because all four sides of the rib were exposed to the marinade, heat, and carmelization of the sugars, not just two. The slab was one I picked up at a local yokel $2.99 on sale. Quality... meat to bone ratio..just fair. The recipe is solid!! Two thumbs up!! My product quality and execution of the recipe was not up to par. I never foiled. They went straight form the oven to a platter...Nothing but bones left. The "Kill Dawg" had a ball!!:LOL:

A testament to your cooking skills, Uncle Bob! Nice recovery!

Lee

I cannot believe how great these oven ribs turned out!

Makes 1 ¼ cup

½ cup sugar
3 T sherry (dry or sweet – I use dry)
2 T soy sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 teas minced gingerroot
½ teas 5-spice powder
1 teas salt
½ teas (or more) red food coloring

By qsis, shot with Canon PowerShot S230 at 2008-03-02

Can i ask - what does the "T" stand for? Is it tablespoon?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom