Leek mousse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
What consistency should "leek mousse" be? I thought a mouse should be really very soft (a knife would probably cut through it under its own weight), but this recipe leaves me with something of a consistency closer to an omelette.

Also, when I made the roux (with oil not margarine), and the left it to cool, the oil separated somewhat and had to be mixed in again. What's that about?

Last edited:
Yes, a mousse should be lighter and softer than an omlet. If you folded the meringue in too briskly, you could have broken too may of the air bubbles in the meringue, reducing the amount of expansion when baked, resulting in a thicker, heavier mousse.

When you make a roux and set it aside to cool, some oil will often rise to the surface. Next time, just pour it off rather than mix it back in.

What consistency should "leek mousse" be? I thought a mouse should be really very soft (a knife would probably cut through it under its own weight), but this recipe leaves me with something of a consistency closer to an omelette.

Also, when I made the roux (with oil not margarine), and the left it to cool, the oil separated somewhat and had to be mixed in again. What's that about?

Sean, can you share the recipe with us? My experience with mousse - the consistency should be light, creamy & airy/whipped.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, now that you got it right, was the recipe worth the five attemps?? or were you just searching to nail the proper consistancy ?

In my unrefined opinion, it was worth the five attempts. I probably wont make it again for a while, but I've never before had a non-chocolate mousse before, so it was quite interesting. My previous four attempts weren't exactly a waste either, since I ate them and they were like omelets... :/ Getting it right, for the sake of being able to, was also a part of my motivation though :)

The recipe says to whisk the eggs until stiff but not dry; how do you know if you've reached the dry stage, and if you have, is it reversible by letting it stand?

...The recipe says to whisk the eggs until stiff but not dry; how do you know if you've reached the dry stage, and if you have, is it reversible by letting it stand?

Congrats for sticking to it and perfecting the recipe. You should feel quite good about that.

The egg white texture is a matter of experience. If you overbeat, the process is not reversable.

Did you note the correct stopping point in your successful attempt so you can repeat it?

I did - it was 24 minutes (I got impatient and it looked ready). I guess the time will be forever recorded in this thread for posterity, and more importantly for myself since I will undoubtedly forget. Thanks for the encouragement, Andy! :)

Back
Top Bottom