Herb Window Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Have read the thread about growing herbs but it seems to be all about indoor growing. I would love to grow my own herbs in something like a window box. Any suggestions/hints/tips? Would it be better to grow them inside? - bearing in mind i live in Ireland there will be a lot of rain and not an awful lot of sun!

Also this may be a stupid question but do the herbs grow back once picked or would i have to plant more?

Douzer;
From all I have heard or seen, herbs appear to do well in all parts of the UK, I don't think you'd have any trouble. Just place the box where you would get the maximum amount of sun and make sure you feed your plants (preferably an organic fertilizer or even natural fertilizers). Combining a fairly rainy climate with a raised box means a lot of the nutrients will leech from the soil, so you'll have to do supplemental feeding.
That is NOT a stupid question. I killed a lot of herb plants before I figured out harvesting by trial and error. Some herbs are unkillable. Mint comes to mind. Pinch off as little or as much mint as you like and it will grow back defiantly. Basil I just pinch off the top third or so and the plant just gets bushier. Cut the tops off your chives and the plants are ready to trim again in 2 weeks. I prune my rosemary regularly and only use the tender light green stems for cooking. Whenever I prune it, it produces even more of those tender green stems. Cilantro ( you may know it as the coriander plant) does not grow back but I always succession plant it (a few seeds today, a few more next week, etc.) so there is always plenty on hand plus it self-seeds so I have more growing as soon as the seaso0n starts in spring. Hope this helps.

Thanks a mill BubbaGoyrmet, that's a great help! Just one more question, is there a good time to plant the seeds or can i start anytime? Looking forward to having my own freshly grown herbs!

Douzer,
If you want to direct seed into the windowbox, wait until all danger of frost is past. if you wish to start them indoors from seed, start now.

Back
Top Bottom