ISO a source for heavy-duty wooden spoons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Restaurant supply store here has pretty good spoons. That is what I use. Recommend you check your local place.

Dave, do you mind if I smack you on top o' da' head for making me look up this site? :bangin:

Actually - I thought I had the site bookmarked ... but couldn't find it ... and then couldn't remember the name - and my old Frugal Gourmet cookbooks are still boxed somewhere in the garage - which is where I first heard of these folks ... anyway ... after searching on Google for a couple of things I found them!

Anywho - the ones I have are the beechwood spoons from France sold by Fantes.com - these look like the ones you see the cooking demonstrators on TV using (you might have to scroll up or down to find them) ... they are heavy, sturdy, and the least expensive I have found (you can find the same spoons at other sites for 3-4 times as much under the name H.A. Mack - don't know that these are HAM - but they sure look the same).

The only problem I've had with any of these (I've got about a dozen in different sizes and been using them for about 10 years) was the handle on one of the 18-inch spoons warped after my DIL put it in the dishwasher.

How heavy of duty are we talking about? Kohls had some nice Food Network-branded spoons that were built pretty heftily. I also saw some nice ones at the local World Market. None of them were commercial-grade stuff, I'm sure, but hefty.

Easy: Rick Bayless has super sturdy wooden spoons & spatulas. Try Sur La Table, they are on clearance right now!

Also, on ebay, do a search for Olive wood spoons or ladels. Great seller there with beautiful inexpensive pieces.

I have bamboo wooden spoons from Pampered Chef that I really like. They have a thicker handle and come in two shapes (circular and oval bowl). :)

Do a google search for kitchen ware stores on line. I have found the Olive wood wooden spoons my favorites...the wood is hard and had a nice smooth surface. They cost a bit more but are worth it. You will also find at stores like linens and Things or Bed Bath and Beyond a mesh bag of black plastic cooking tools for about $5. I got one years ago thinking "why am I buying this crud??!!" Well, best dang spoons and spatulas and ladles I've got! Good for any surface.

My favorite wooden spoons are my bamboo and Amish cherry wood ones. These get used almost daily and I've had them for 7-8 years. I think I got the Amish spoon at Linens & Things. Can't remember where I got the bamboo ones, I think an Asian market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom