The things, that brings back a memory from your childhood birthdays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radhuni

Sous Chef
There is a especial odor of just blown off candles. That particular odor always brings back a memory from my childhood birthdays.

I have read that "scent memory" is the longest. When I smell a musty closet I remember my grandma's house. When I smell Thanksgiving dinner I go back in my mind to some of our Thanksgivings at home as I was growing up. Sometimes I will smell something and suddenly flash back to a memory from a long time ago but don't really know why.

:)Barbara

I agree that scent memory is one of the strongest. In spite of having lived in very humid, not air-conditioned places for much of my adult life, there is a certain scent of humidity and mildew that will bring me back to my grandparents' home in Florida where I lived for a few months when I was 10. Even though I've smelled it often as an adult, when I get a whiff of it, I'm in Florida in the mid 60s, at my grandparents' home. The chlorine-and-suntan lotion smell always reminds me of the base swimming pools of my youth. If I peel an orange, I remember my mom peeling oranges to get rid of the lousy smell of some motels we stayed in as we travelled around the country (it works!!!! This could be a terrible memory, but it is not, just a memory of how much my mom loved us all and tried her best to deal with military life).

That's easy-watching my Grandchildren anticipate it, and the pure, innocent joy that they can't contain when it finally arrives.

I'm afraid I don't have any good scent memories, a lot of bad stuff happened in my childhood so if I smell something related to an incident, it is not a good memory. :ermm:

LOL I missed the "birthday" part in the original post! Sorry!

Sometimes when I see playing cards, I am reminded of my 17th birthday. My mom said I could have a friend over for dinner that night. It was a school night, so right after dinner (and cake and ice cream) my dad was going to drive her home. When we got home from school we were sitting on my bed playing cards, when Kim mentioned something (about her pjs or something) that made me realize that she thought she had been invited to spend the night. I excused myself and told my mom of the mix-up and asked her to not say anything to Kim, so as not to embarrass her. I also asked her to quietly say something to my dad when he got home, so that he wouldn't say something like, "So, are you ready for me to take you home?" It turned out to be a great birthday, and I had a friend to walk to school with the next morning. :cool:

:)Barbara

Tony's Frozen pizzas... my food of choice on birthdays!
Maybe Totino's brand... I forget exactly, LOL!
And Frosty Root beer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom