How do they do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun

Assistant Cook
How do restaurants serve ribs that are super tender and have meat that is falling from the bone, however they serve it in about 30 minutes

I actually would just like to know how to make spare ribs(indoors) so that they are tender. It seems that everytime I make them indoors they are tough or chewy.

Any suggestions?

A lot of restaurants use pressure cookers. I have found when I can't grill, throwing them in the crockpot all day with seasonings, liquid smoke, brown sugar, garlic, your preference, works wonders. I then throw them in the oven with bbq and bake for 30-45 minutes 350 then broil real quick to finish them off.

during the summer, when I can grill, I brine my ribs for 24 hours, then grill them. Here is a good brine recipe:

1 1/2 gallons water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
6-7 mashed cloves garlic
1 tsp cayenne
other seasonings you wish
3 T liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients.

Hope this helps a little! If not, fantastic Discuss Cooking help is on the way!!! :angel:

We used to parboil them, then spread out on a full sheet and bake in a slow oven until tender. Then we'd sauce 'em up and bake again at like 275 for at least an hour, or until the sauce had that "just right" look about it. We had them on a buffet every week for years.

I think most of the chains are using a prepped product.

I have to agree with AMSeccia. Most chains are probably using a prepared product from a "commissary kitchen" for uniformity between locations.

Two country clubs I've worked in really messed up ribs.

One of those would simmer the ribs in a tilt skillet (big honking piece of equipment that you'll never fit into your home), then finish them on a grill, and baste with sauce.

The place I'm working at now, STEAMS the ribs in the steamer (moist heat tenderizes meat), then gives them a heavy smoke for about an hour. For service, the ribs are finished on a slow grill until hot, and basted with sauce.

However, on the last batch, a different person prepped them, and gave the baby back ribs a 6-hour slow smoke. They definitely taste better!

I've always felt the cooking ribs either in the steamer, or simmering in water, leaches a lot of the flavor from the ribs. For me, it's a slow smoke or nothing. I also prefer spareribs to baby backs, but that's my personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom