I have Spaghetti Sauce...what else can I use it for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you looking for alternative sauces for your pasta or alternative things to use with your sauce?

How about a simple oil and garlic sauce? I like to throw dried cranberries in with that as well.

I like just a simple butter/olive oil/garlic,salt/pepper combo then sprinkle on some red pepper chili flakes.

I still like, and this stems from childhood, butter, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese.

I found that adding a whole chipotle pepper (or some smoked ham hock) into a Tomato sauce can give a standard tomato sauce the kick that it needs. Of course, if you're looking for something really different, why not try penne a la vodka? It's not hard to make, but it is addictive :-p

Okay, I should have worded this differently. I have sauce. I have sauce up the ying yang. I thought this was the "I only have X ingredient" section so my X ingredient is spaghetti sauce. I need alternatives for something other than just pouring it over pasta.

I had this underlying feeling you were talking about using the sauce on something else versus another sauce for your noodles but I went with what seemed more plausible.

So - to translate your question - it is:

I have spaghetti sauce - what else can I use it for? :LOL:

I have some ideas but I will go change your title first.

Well, *amy* took all the good answers! :LOL: I was going to say stuffed peppers too and pizza sauce.

Is there meat in the sauce?

mmmm.....

Use it as a dip for mozzarella sticks or garlic rolls
Use it as a starting point to make a "pizza soup"
Freeze it
lasagna
stuffed shells
manicotti (my favorite!)
Chicken, or eggplant, or veal parmesan

I came back for chicken parm, but KitchenElf, beat me to the spaghetti sauce punch. :LOL:

How about

Meatballs

(Pizza) Burgers

Kitchenelf and *amy* covered most of my first thoughts ... a couple more, with a little tweaking of the seasonings:

You can use the sauce as the tmoato sauce base to turn into a meat sauce to make moussaka.

As a sauce over baked stuffed cabbage rolls.

You can also start with some EVOO, add a little minced garlic, sliced or diced zuccini and yellow summer squash, diced onion - saute/sweat and then add a touch of sauce to finish.

You can also use it with some sweated onions and green bell peppers, some shrimp, and make a variation of Shrimp Creole to serve over rice or pasta.

Sear some cubed steak, add diced onions and bell peppers and saute, add sauce, cover and reduce temp to simmer for about 40-60 minutes - a smothered steak.

Basically - you can use it anywhere you would tomato sauce if you take into account the seasonings and additional ingredients in your spaghetti sauce.

Last edited:
Or get some osso Bucco (I believe this is veal shank...but I'm probably wrong), and brown it, then braise it in your sauce for a few hours. It'll be fall-apart good :)

Kitchenelf and *amy* covered most of my first thoughts ... a couple more, with a little tweaking of the seasonings:

You can use the sauce as the tmoato sauce base to turn into a meat sauce to make moussaka.

As a sauce over baked stuffed cabbage rolls.

You can also start with some EVOO, add a little minced garlic, sliced or diced zuccini and yellow summer squash, diced onion - saute/sweat and then add a touch of sauce to finish.

You can also use it with some sweated onions and green bell peppers, some shrimp, and make a variation of Shrimp Creole to serve over rice or pasta.

Sear some cubed steak, add diced onions and bell peppers and saute, add sauce, cover and reduce temp to simmer for about 40-60 minutes - a smothered steak.

Basically - you can use it anywhere you would tomato sauce if you take into account the seasonings and additional ingredients in your spaghetti sauce.

If I bring the tomato sauce, will you cook dinner for me Michael? ;)

Spagehetti sauce question? Ask the Pasta King:chef:

Here is an idea. Make an Alfrado sauce but don't put as much black pepper or as much cheese. Instead, add a few table spoons of your red sauce. This will give it a pink color called "Blush". Now add some fresh Basil and you are ready to eat. This sauce goes great with a Penne, or you could add a teaspoon of Vodka and make "Penne Ala vodka".

Your welcome.:)

Serve it over potatoes in a gratin style. Moussaka is also good as Michael said. Cook some chicken pieces in it like a casserole and serve with rice and veges. Add it to a shepherd's pie mixture for a richer meat component. If it is meatless sauce, use gravy style over your choice of meats. Likewise, cooking some mussels in it with a bit of chili for a chilli mussels with a difference dish? Use it instead of your normal sauce for nachoes. Thin it down and add other ingredients (like dumplings and veges) for a soup/stew.

Really depends on what's in the sauce.

I have been known to make different types of bread out of leftover spaghetti sauce that usually turns out okay (tomato bagels were the best, I think). Come to think of it, anyone ever tried making dumplings out of tomato sauce? That might be an interesting idea.

Back
Top Bottom