Homemade pasta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little Italy

Assistant Cook
After much non success and my pasta tasting like unleven bread what am i doin wrong? I get the pasta dough right (i think). I make a well with flower then put eggs and and mix the eggs with the flower in the dough until i cannot mix it with a fork anymore. Then I hand kned the dough until it is elastic feeling and roll it out. I think I have the dough to thick, (did cannelloni and ravioli) but when i got it really thin the pasta was breaking in the pot. Also when i am making the boiling the pasta it gets weird feeling and not like regular pasta, it gets little bubbles in it.

LI;
What kind of flour are you using? I use Semolina flour to make mine then I proceed much as you do. My recipe is 1 1/2 lbs flour, 3 extra large eggs, beaten, 2 tbsps EVOO, and a little salt.
Make the shape and thickness I want then let dry for at least 30 minutes before cooking. Usually turns out well.

You really want to use a semolina flour. It's a harder wheat, and produces more gluten in the kneading process, so the dough is stronger.

i actually got it right tonight, i used wet hands instead of flour covered hands and i put it in the fridge for about an hour. I made Bow Tie tonight

I love making pasta at home, and it took me a few tries to get it right. One thing I learned was to let the dough sit for half an hour after kneading.

Also, do you have a pasta machine, or are you rolling it out by hand? I find a machine is far more efficient, even if it is hand cranked, and I can roll it through the first setting several times to get a really smooth, satiny consistency before I start thinning it out.

You really want to use a semolina flour. It's a harder wheat, and produces more gluten in the kneading process, so the dough is stronger.

I don't care for semolina pastas. I use 3/4 cup all purpose to 1 egg. When you knead it into a ball, wrap it tightly with saran wrap and place in the fridge for at leat 20 minutes.

Some dough recipes call for both semolina and white flour. It all depends on who's making it. I find the white flour to be easier to work with.

You can actually get a really nice pasta from a soft wheat flour like White Lilly. It will have less bite and will be softer but still quite nice.

You need to mix up the flour and egg and then knead the dough till it become smooth and shiny/satiny. When you cut into it, it should have tiny bubbles in it. Then let it rest.

You should be working it through your pasta roller, over and over, decreasing in thickness with every pass till you have the sheet of dough the right thickness.

If it's been worked properly, it will not tear.

You don't need to dry it before you cook it, though you can.

My mom teached me to use "grano duro" flour (durum wheat or Macaroni wheat, says me Wikipedia ;)).
In Italy all the egg-less pasta are made using it, and I suggest you to prove for egg-based pasta also.
This flour yields pasta strongest, don't break in boiling and, last but not least, it is really good!

Hope this help.
Bye, M

Back
Top Bottom