Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Health, Nutrition and Special Diets (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What Oil Is The Healthiest for Deep Frying? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/what-oil-is-the-healthiest-for-deep-frying-44281.html)

virgo152 03-16-2008 01:57 PM

What Oil Is The Healthiest for Deep Frying?

Making your own potato chips or wings. What oil is the healthies? Can you make these in the oven?

BBQ Mikey 03-16-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virgo152 (Post 567767)
Making your own potato chips or wings. What oil is the healthies? Can you make these in the oven?

What oil is healthiest for deep frying seems like an oxymoron. Different people will tell you different things, but I would have to say Olive oil is the lightest and healthiest oil for you. I read somewhere that they actually use olive oil on certain surgical equipment to help lubricate them. Alittle off topic, I know!

As far as making wings and chips, Absolutely you can make them in the oven. Wings especially come out rather well. The way I do it is to cook them in a pan for 45 min - hour on high heat (approx.375-400) and then drain the juice. After that give them another hour on high heat and they come out crispy and wonderful.

Though you can bake potato chips, I honestly, prefer mine fried with BBQ seasonings...

Chief Longwind Of The North 03-16-2008 05:37 PM

Yes many people will tell you many different things. Although olive oil is a healthy oil, it has a flavor and burns easily. Of course there are different grades of olive oil. Extra Virgin is the healthiest, has the strongest flavor, and burns the easiest. It's not a great frying oil, or even a good one. As the oil is more processed to remove all but the pure fat, it becomes lighter in flavor, and more tollerant of heat.

For frying, the healthiest, and best temperature characteristics are had by using nut oils, especially walnut, and peanut oils. Both have high smoke points and are nutritionaly sound. In fact, walnut oil is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which is good stuff. The problem with nut oils is that they have a flavor.

For neutral flavored oils, Sunflower is the most benign. It is high in polyunsaturates, and contains mono-unsaturates as well. It has virtually no flavor and a high smoke point. It is a great all-around cooking oil. Safflower oil comes in third, followed by soybean oil.

Of the saturated fats (solid fats), lard is better than butter, which is better than trans-fats (margerine).

That's the quick and dirty about oils. Go ahead and do a bit of research on Google and you will get a wealth of info about oils.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy M. 03-16-2008 06:19 PM

Canola oil is readily available, in expensive, has a high smoke point and is considered one of the oils with the most favorable types fat content.

jpmcgrew 03-16-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey (Post 567835)
What oil is healthiest for deep frying seems like an oxymoron. Different people will tell you different things, but I would have to say Olive oil is the lightest and healthiest oil for you. I read somewhere that they actually use olive oil on certain surgical equipment to help lubricate them. Alittle off topic, I know!

As far as making wings and chips, Absolutely you can make them in the oven. Wings especially come out rather well. The way I do it is to cook them in a pan for 45 min - hour on high heat (approx.375-400) and then drain the juice. After that give them another hour on high heat and they come out crispy and wonderful.

Though you can bake potato chips, I honestly, prefer mine fried with BBQ seasonings...

:smile: I make my chicken wings the same way in the oven no oil needed as the wings have enough fat in then when they are done I toss them in wing sauce.
As far as oils I prefer peanut oil but it's more expensive than my next choice which is canola.

Katie H 03-16-2008 07:48 PM

There are very few oils in my house. Most of my cooking is done with olive oil and I do my frying with canola oil.

foodpal 03-16-2008 11:44 PM

Using olive oil will be too expensive for making chips. Baking the wings will be easy and tasty too. Canola oil for chips will be more economical besides it is vegetable extracts and should be healthy.

attie 03-17-2008 06:18 AM

You might like to check this oil out, it behaves similar to canola.
Rice Bran Oil, The World's Healthiest Oil

karenlyn 03-17-2008 11:28 AM

I use olive oil for everything-- even frying. That's just how it's done here. In Spanish homes, everything is cooked in EVOO almost without exception. It does get a little smokey, but I love the flavor of foods (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil.

I have a great recipe for wings that come out super crisp and delicious. You just marinate them awhile in a mixture of oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and other things, then bake them for in a hot oven. They're better than fried!

smag 03-17-2008 11:34 AM

I use light olive oil for regular cooking, and canola for deep frying..Olive oil is too expensive to deep fry in.