Quick help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
This may be a very stupid question, but how do I tell when the corned beef is done? Mine has been in the crock pot all day and it is totally pink all over. I have a hard time believing it's not cooked AT ALL. Maybe I did choose a bad way to cook it though. First timer with this dish.:blush:

pink is different than raw. Does it look like it did when you put it in?
i always boil mine.

How long do you boil it. It's been boiling but in the crock pot. It's not AS red when I put it in. It doesn't fall apart easily or anything like that. I don't know if it's supposed to, but meat usually does when it's been in the CP for 7 or 8 hours.

It boils about 2 hours?? Cut into it, does it look raw inside? I'm thinking thats the only way to tell. DOn't cut in half or anything, just a peek, then you can still boil it a bit to hurry it up.

Because the beef has been "Corned", or cured in a solution of salt-petre dissolved in water, the meat will never turn "grey". The pink color is a result of a chemical reaction between the nitrate (or is it nitrite, I can't remember) and the protein in the meat itself, just like ham is "pink".

Most Corned Beef is made from Brisket, which is a really tough cut to begin with. Honestly, the only way to be certain that your meat is done is to temp it with a probe thermometer. It should read anywhere between 180 - 200 degrees F in the thickest part of the meat.

Take it out, and slice the meat across the grain. It should be OK, as long as it came up to temp. I usually only cook Corned Beef in a CP for 3 - 4 hours.

As Allen said, it will neverr change color. Temperature/tenderness are how you know when it's done.

If a fork goes into the meat easily and pulls out easily, the brisket is done.

Thanks guys, the dinner was a big hit. The meat was as red as ever but completely done and very delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom