Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   FN's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/fns-diners-drive-ins-and-dives-44338.html)

sattie 03-17-2008 11:22 PM

FN's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

This is one of my favorite shows and really enjoy watching it. Not because of Guy, not because it is on FN, but because at these places he visits, they give me ideas and inspiration in home cooking. You don't see shi shi fru fru style cooking, but it is folks making recipes that I could see myself doing. Anyone else enjoy the food/recipes that are presented on this show?

Katie H 03-17-2008 11:27 PM

Had a blast watching tonight. Couldn't believe the lady who made the beautiful coconut pies, etc. in a kitchen that looked a bit like an overgrown home kitchen. Did you get a look at her stoves? She deserves a medal.

Dave Hutchins 03-17-2008 11:39 PM

I love the show as it is real!!! cooking and I agree with Kate E that lady deserves 2 medals for doing such a great job in a dork kitchen

sattie 03-17-2008 11:43 PM

OH Katie!!!! I was drooling over those pies myself!!!! I did not notice the stove, but I can only imagine it was not much more than what I have in my kitchen. I get sooooo many ideas off of the wonderful people they showcase. Oh.. and those falafels (sp?), now I want to try one!!! I'm not a big Guy fan, but I do like the 'topic' it covers. I guess if you asked me what type of cook I am, I would have to say that I am a diner, drive-in, and dive cook!

AMSeccia 03-18-2008 12:02 AM

Love that show ... some of the food they highlight is really special for "diners" and I'd love to fall into one of those dives on my travels. If you've ever worked in a roadside dinner or family restaurant, this really is nostalgic. I think Guy is the perfect personality for this show. I tend to enjoy him more hosting versus cooking, and like this show better than the newer ultimate recipe showdown they've been playing lately.

sattie 03-18-2008 12:18 AM

I have to admit that this seems to be 'fitting' for Guy, or he has found his niche. I never can get enough of the food on this show. I'm amazed at what everyday type folks have to offer in cullinary experience. AM... I need to find a way to track all these places so if and when I am ever in the area, I can make sure to stop in!

GotGarlic 03-18-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sattie (Post 568600)
I have to admit that this seems to be 'fitting' for Guy, or he has found his niche. I never can get enough of the food on this show. I'm amazed at what everyday type folks have to offer in cullinary experience. AM... I need to find a way to track all these places so if and when I am ever in the area, I can make sure to stop in!

At your service: TV : Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives : Guy's Hotspots : Food Network

:smile:

GrillingFool 03-18-2008 08:38 AM

Wife and I went from NC to WY and back.. ROAD TRIP!
One rule was no eating in chain or "national restaurants"... diners,
drive-ins and dives there and back.
Never did we have a bad meal. Little towns in Kansas have some good
cooks, too!

Love that show!

JoAnn L. 03-18-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sattie (Post 568575)
This is one of my favorite shows and really enjoy watching it. Not because of Guy, not because it is on FN, but because at these places he visits, they give me ideas and inspiration in home cooking. You don't see shi shi fru fru style cooking, but it is folks making recipes that I could see myself doing. Anyone else enjoy the food/recipes that are presented on this show?

I agree, it's one of my favorite shows. Everything looks so good.:rolleyes:

buckytom 03-18-2008 09:41 AM

i like the show; one of the few shows that i still watch on foodtv.

guy fieri is a good host. he's able to pull off the "everything's good" routine, the same as rr, but it's not so over the top. and it's not annoying to watch him eat. you know, the kind of people who eat like cows, or drool, or just make eating look unappetizing. guy's able to stuff his face and make it look as good as he says. :pig:

the only things that bug me are that he seems not to know much about italian foods (with a name like fieri? ), and if you're gonna dye your hair, wear jewelry and go to tanning booths, you need to lift. he's got ladie's arms.:cool:

overall, it's a good show. plus, they've done 3 places in jersey that i've been to, and he was dead on about their food.