Growing Vidalia Onions in Pots...Feasible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Mark

Senior Cook
Thanks to all on previous advice-mixing herbs

Vadalia Onions...anyone had any success growing them in pots? Also, I 'heard' there are some Vadialia Carrots out there...???:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen them grown in pots, but why not?

These onions are Georgia natives. I think they're typically planted in the autumn and harvested in spring. Temperature may make a big difference depending on where you live.

I haven't heard of Vidalia carrots. I think these are all planted in low sulphur soil which may be the reason they taste sweeter. I'm not sure.

Good luck with them.

thankx for the info-yesterday was my birthday so i bought 9 'scallion bulbs' just to make me happy-the bulb is about as big as your thumb-the scallions i sprinkled over my baked potato last night-very good-i have to use pots because i live on a lake in the florida panhandle--doesn't Texas also have a sweet variety of onion?-and mauhi too i think...:chef:
Haven't seen them grown in pots, but why not?

These onions are Georgia natives. I think they're typically planted in the autumn and harvested in spring. Temperature may make a big difference depending on where you live.

I haven't heard of Vidalia carrots. I think these are all planted in low sulphur soil which may be the reason they taste sweeter. I'm not sure.

Good luck with them.

Texas has the 1015 Sweet, which should be hitting the market soon.

I'm getting tired of the old onions from last year, as the ones in "cold storage" at produce warehouses that supply the country are started to tell their age (rotting interiors). Hopefully the 1015 Sweet's and Vidalia's will be coming out soon. I've got some app rec's I want to try at work using Vidalia's.

Sweet Onions

Thankx AllenOK for your keen insight...maybe try some carmelized sweet-onion-butter to top a steak-works well for me @ work w/12 oz ribeye...herb it up but it sells best as is...look forward to hearing about apps:chef:

The Texas 1015's just hit our stores this week. The 1015 is named for it's planting date - October 15, or thereabouts.

Chef Mark, Happy Birthday!

If you want to grow a Vidalia, or Texas 1015, or a Maui onion that taste exactly like a Vidalia, or Texas 1015, or Maui onion you would buy in the store ... you'll have to move to Vidalia, GA, the Rio Grande valley of Texas, or Maui.

The secret is the location ... the regional soil composition (low sulfur content is just one of the factors) and the climate (amount of sunlight and it's intensity, length of the days and nights, humidity, rainfall, temperatures both the daytime high and the nighttime lows, etc).

You're right there Michael. Vidalia Onions are twice as sweet as other onions because of the low sulfur content in the sandy soil, the mild climate and the light rains. They are planted in the fall and winter and then hand-picked come harvest time (April through mid-June). They only have half of the acid that causes indigestion that regular onions have.

I can't wait till harvest time. Down here you can buy them at roadside produce stands all along the highways along with Georgia Peaches and P-cans...yes, I said P-cans! ;)

Thanks...simplicity...for both the onion info and salutations!:chef:
The Texas 1015's just hit our stores this week. The 1015 is named for it's planting date - October 15, or thereabouts.

Chef Mark, Happy Birthday!

Vidalia Onions

Vidalia onions are Granex 33 onions but when planted in Vidalia, GA become Vidalia onions. I planted Granex 33 last fall. Looks like they will be ready to harvest in a few weeks.

Last edited:
update to tread

my onions are and have been producing a lot scallions:)thankx to all for advice and info

Back
Top Bottom