ISO tips for low cost airfare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Any tips for getting low airfair? Any certain time of day, day of week , etc to depart? Is it cheaper way way far in advance, closer to departure time?

I've never bought plane tickets before..

I would do it now. with the price of gas tickets are going up..we bought tickets from Ca. to N.C. a month ago..our first stop was Atlanta. then to Charlotte. Two were flights out of Atlanta were canceled because of gas prices so now we stop in Salt lake city and then to Charlotte

i used Expedia.com and we are flying Delta.

Any tips for getting low airfair? Any certain time of day, day of week , etc to depart? Is it cheaper way way far in advance, closer to departure time?

I've never bought plane tickets before..

Go to Orbitz.com and do a search. The site searches through several other sites to come up with lots of alternatives. There is usually less demand for traveling on Tues, Wed or Thurs, so you can often get a better fare. If you are willing to make one or more stops (depending on how far you're traveling), the cost goes down. Flying into smaller airports, outside of larger cities, can be cheaper, too. Just make sure you know what transportation from the airport to your destination is available. HTH.

Thanks guy. I checked to typical places, orbits, expedia, hotwire, travelocity...got the same results. Cheaper in June than in August.

I'll check that out Barbara. Funny thing...We're in Iowa wanting to fly to MA this summer (Hartford CT airport) and I found fairs from $270-570. Yet, this winter when my husband's uncle died, we were going to fly from IA to Hibbing, MN (a 6 hr drive) and it was $900 per person!!!!!!!!

Thanks guy. I checked to typical places, orbits, expedia, hotwire, travelocity...got the same results. Cheaper in June than in August.

I'll check that out Barbara. Funny thing...We're in Iowa wanting to fly to MA this summer (Hartford CT airport) and I found fairs from $270-570. Yet, this winter when my husband's uncle died, we were going to fly from IA to Hibbing, MN (a 6 hr drive) and it was $900 per person!!!!!!!!

Distance doesn't determine the price - demand for the route does.

I travel to Las Vegas several times a year. If you go to Southwest airlines website and sign up, you will recieve "pings" on specific flights. These usually come in the AM, and you only have a very short time to respond, but the savings are substantial.
Last summer (Aug 07) our round trip ticket (Omaha to LV and LV to Omaha) was 109.00$ per ticket with a free companion flight!!
That was extremely good luck (and timing) but its free to sign up, and depending on where you are going, you may get lucky too!!
FWIW, the most we have ever spent on a RT ticket to LV using this method was 210$ ea.
Good Luck!

Check out the site for the airline that makes the most trips to your destination from your home airport. Enter the trip parameters and check out the prices. Then change the departure and return dates in different combinations to find the best prices.

Some of the travel sites, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. have a box you can check for flexible dates and will do the check for you.

man when i first saw the title of this post i thought it said "Low cost affair" it caught me off guard. i was like WTF

AH HA! So you CAN'T fly without an airplane! Busted!

PS: Travelocity works best, from my experience. But the truth is that you shouldn't rely on one source, ever. Look everywhere you can. You'll be surprised at what you can find if you just spend a little time looking.

LT72884....Hmmmm Have you been informed about my woodshed ??? :LOL:

You might just receive an invitation:angel:..

Back
Top Bottom