Southern Missouri...Is anyone here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
And still on line? Just want you to know I'm thinking about y'all!

Here in southern Illinois, we've already had almost 5" of rain, but down there, the land is lower, and they've had as much as 12"...and it's still coming down.

Bless their hearts.

I'm in South West Missouri.. I'm not sure how many inches we've gotten so far, but I do know that it's been raining, non-stop since last night. They're saying today it's averaging about a quarter of an inch an hour, half an inch in some places. The town we live in floods REALLY bad. Our house is actually up on a hill, so *we* don't have to worry about flooding at all, but most of the streets around us have big orange cones blocking them with flowing water going across the streets...

I believe it should finally stop by tomorrow afternoon. But it's definetly going to continue all through the night!

I have alot of family in and around St. Louis, MO, St. Geniveve, MO, Chester, IL and Paducah Ky. Chester is up on the bluffs and ok I'm sure, but I'm not so sure about Paducah..... are you guys close to there?

You're right to be concerned, Connie.

Cape Girardeau is having some serious problems. Capaha Park is under water. What a mess.

Southern Illinois - Carbondale to be specific - has had at least 10 inches of rain.

At the moment, here in western Kentucky, we are under a tornado warning until 2 a.m.

Mother Nature is having a real "hissy."

your part of the midwest has had a terrible time this winter.
i'm sure you are hoping for a break more than anyone.
my thoughts and prayers are always with you!
I think my dad has cousins in Carbondale, Paducah has me most worried right now.
Boy I hope I am spelling that city correct;y!

Paducah has me most worried right now.
Boy I hope I am spelling that city correct;y!

Yes, suzie. You spelled it correctly. Paducah is our "shopping" town and I'm supposed to go there tomorrow. That is, if the roads aren't covered with water.

Been raining for hours here. Water, water, water, water....everywhere. The creek banks will overflow and the river will get high. The roads will be flooded. Just hope it's not the roads I have to be on tomorrow.

So far, so good.

My husband owns a barber shop here in town, and there's a big ditch between his shop/parking lot, and the main road that goes through town. From the edge of the parking lot to the bottom of the ditch is about 10 feet deep, and it looked like a roaring river at about 5:00 today. DH said when he left, it was about 2 feet from the parking lot. I wonder if it'll be flooded in the morning.. I've never seen it that full before.

During the floods of 93 (I think thats the right year) we went to Chester to visit my grandma.
We zigged and zagged thru most of IA and MO. And that was mostly due to rain plus runoff from up this way.
Good thing we're in a drought for you I suppose?
Good luck on your shopping trip! I think we are going to visit down there later this summer. ROAD TRIP!!!

suziquzie;569171 Good luck on your shopping trip! I think we are going to visit down there later this summer. ROAD TRIP!!![/quote said:
Let me know, suzie. I'll make a point of being available. It's easy since I run my own business. We can have some REAL fun and fabulous food in Paducah!

PM me when you have your plans in place.

LOL!! I don't think you want my little bulls in your China shop!!!! ;)
but I will keep that in mind for sure!

Wow, what a gully washer! We only got 5" here in Benton, but Marion, just 30 miles south of us got 11.5", and Cape Girardeau got 13"!

Down in Vienna, a 200 car coal train derailed because of the water. The engineers legs were crushed, but they couldn't get a chopper in because of the weather, and ambulances couldn't get there because all the roads were flooded. They finally ended up bringing another train up from the south so they could get him somewhere for medical treatment.

Pretty messy here this morning. Don't know how much rain we got, but several of the roads just outside of our town are closed. As a result, I'm home today. No regular two-week shopping trip to Paducah. If the water recedes enough today, I'll go tomorrow. It's still raining, so I'm not too confident of the roads opening tomorrow. For sure I've gotta go on Friday.

Cape Girardeau, MO is pretty wet. As is the Carbondale, IL area. I hope the folks in those states get some relief from the rain soon.

Connie, I heard about the train derailment. Current thinking is that a bridge washed out that the train had to travel on. Really difficult situation for all involved. Had to have been incredibly frustrating for the rescuers.

And I thought we had it bad!

We got almost 3" of rain. One road closed about 1/2 mile from my house, but that cleared up by morning. Just 20 miles east, and they got over 6" of rain. Lots of roads flooded out.

The folks with 12" are in my thoughts.

I wonder what's going to happen in a few weeks or a month, when all this crud finally makes it down to NOLA?

Back
Top Bottom