Baby Artichokes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Princess

Assistant Cook
I just bought 2 pounds of fresh baby artichokes now what should I do with them? Any ideas and recipes are welcomed. I would like to have them for Easter.

Princess, we are having some as well..here is what I do. I cut the tip off no need to cut them open there is no thistle in the center, it hasn't developed yet..But you can cut them in half if you like..I do..Then I put them into a skillet with some chicken broth and the juice of one lemon..and simmer til tender, drain off some of the liquid , add some butter, a good handfull of fresh chopped Italian parsley, 4-5 cloves of finely chopped garlic, a little evoo,salt and pepper and let the liquid reduce so there is only a little left..serve with an extra bit of the parsley and enjoy..This is an expected goodie at our home my kids just love them..They will be nice and soft and completely edible..
kadesma

I have been driving past a field full of artichokes every morning for the last few weeks now. I'd never seen them in the field before this, just in the market or the produce stand. It's amazing how the thin stalk can support that huge bulb.

Now they're starting to turn brown and rot in the filed. Last year it was red bell peppers so ripe they were falling off the vines and shriveling up. I wanted to stop the car and just pick myself a couple of arms full, but I was afraid of getting shot. I hate it when that happens!

Why would a farmer go through all the trouble of planting 2 or 3 acres of something, and then just let it die off?

Last edited:
I just bought 2 pounds of fresh baby artichokes now what should I do with them? Any ideas and recipes are welcomed. I would like to have them for Easter.

Princess, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to artichokes - steamed or any prep method (you can prepare them in a slow cooker as well), served with mayo or bernaise sauce. Follow the link for preparing the chokes, then you can roast them w evoo, lemon, s&p. You can add the prepped chokes to salads or mashed potatoes - or roast a chicken with artichokes & red potatoes. Try a google for more recipes.

I have been driving past a field full of artichokes every morning for the last few weeks now. I'd never seen them in the field before this, just in the market or the produce stand. It's amazing how the thin stalk can support that huge bulb.

Now they're starting to turn brown and rot in the filed. Last year it was red bell peppers so ripe they were falling off the vines and shriveling up. I wanted to stop the car and just pick myself a couple of arms full, but I was afraid of getting shot. I hate it when that happens!

Why would a farmer go through all the trouble of planting 2 or 3 acres of something, and then just let it die off?

Especially with peppers and artichokes! Does this field owner not know there are people starving in the midwest for something other than corn!?! :ohmy:

The only place I have ever found baby chokes is in WVA, about 60 miles away. And we don't get there very often. But they are sooooo gooood.

Back
Top Bottom