ISO Ricewurst recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amoswald

Assistant Cook
just joined when I googled ricewurst.. and this site came up. My father used to make sausage with cooked rice and pork. The "recipe". seasoning and quantities were all in his head. My nephews and I loved it.. so easy to just bake it in the oven or fry in pan and have it come out deliciously crunchy. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me a recipe. Should also say if from Austia/Hungary.. it would likely be close. thank you very much.:unsure:

Last edited:
There is a search function on the blue toolbar. Click into it and follow the directions, you can try using the Advanced search function if you don't find what you need. Let me know if you need more instruction on how to use that function.

thank you! Finally saw it... when I scrolled back up agian.. I did email the woman form Australia.. hope her aunt is willing to part with recipe.

Rice Liver Sausage {Hungarian Churka} This is from Rytek Kutas Great Sausage recipes and Meat Curing 3rd ed,- The Sausage Maker, Inc. - Sausage Making Equipment & Supplies

Ingredients for 10 #

5Tb Salt
1 large onion
1TBground black pepper
1tsp jmarjamin
2 Tb paprika
1# rice uncooked
5-6 # pork snouts
2 1/2 #pork livers
2 tsp pink salt [6.25% Sodium nitrite]aka insta cure #1
2 c broth

Cook rice until tender, cook head meat until tender and save broth.Slice onion and fry in lard until golden brown. Liver should be blanched in wqater about 3 minutes.

Cool meats then grind the head meat thru 3/16 inch grinder plate and liver thru 1/4 " plate along with the fried onion.put these and all the rest of the ingredients in mixer including the drained rice; add headmeat broth, mix well until all the items are evenly distributed.

Stuff into 38-42 mm CASINGS.

COOK SAUSAGE IN 170 DEGREE PREHEATED WATER UNTIL they reach 152 degrees internal temp.

Remove from water and put in ice water bath to cool sausage to 40 degrees before placing in frig overnight.Product is very perishable, eat as soon as possible freeze left overs.

I paraphrased the instructions and in truth I can't see some of the process Kutas calls for e.g. why the insta cure if you have to use or freeze it right away.
Sorry, this is the only Rice Sausage recipe I could find in my library. If you wish to make it I am sure a good butcher shop can get the harder to find parts [snouts, pork liver, pink salt].

Oh yeah, this book is really about making commercial sausage. I think there are better books for us who make sausage for home and family like your father did.

Good Luck.

I used to make a chicken liver/pork sausage with majorum S+P 75% pork 25% chicken liver S+P to taste. I would grill a little of the sausage mix, and adjust seasonings.
That being said there is no reason you could not add cooked rice to the mix, I added a little apple cider for a bit of liquid. Blanch off your liver for a few minutes in a pot of boiling water. then grind in a 1/8 inplate and stuff in natural casings. I have checked all of my Charcuterie books and can not find a rice sausage any where so good luck

ISO RIcewurst

Thank you very much for your recipes. I think if I use some hocks or ears, they are readily available, and will make it "set" or jell kind of like the sulz. Guess I will try and experiment with little batches till I get it right.

Thank you very much! I am just getting used to the site and did not spot this nifty little quick reply.
Anna

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom