ISO Spicy tomato sauce for pastas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
Not sure if this is generally the same as an arrabbiata sauce that was posted in an earlier thread.

I've been to a number of Italian restaurants as well as one Portuguese restaurant that have used a spicy tomatoey sauce for their pasta, usually with clams and mussels. The weird thing is, I didn't notice any flakes of red pepper or its seeds. Maybe it's a wine or something? And it was only mildly spicy, nothing powerful at all.

Last edited:
Could be using a Tabasco or similar sauce or pureeing the deseeded chillis into a paste before adding. Or powder. Can also put whole chillis into the sauce and remove before serving. Schezuan pepper. Just some suggestions.

Not sure if this is generally the same as an arrabbiata sauce that was posted in an earlier thread.

I've been to a number of Italian restaurants as well as one Portuguese restaurant that have used a spicy tomatoey sauce for their pasta, usually with clams and mussels. The weird thing is, I didn't notice any flakes of red pepper or its seeds. Maybe it's a wine or something? And it was only mildly spicy, nothing powerful at all.

Perhaps the broth from the mussels was used as part of the sauce served over the pasta. Here's a recipe that uses Spanish chorizo & a bunch of goodies:

‘Steal’ this delicious Portuguese mussels recipe - Steal This Recipe - MSNBC.com

Last edited:
a powdered hot pepper like cayenne could be added for extra spiciness. you wouldn't see it, but you'd know it was there from the heat.

Those red pepper flakes can add some serious heat the longer you cook them. Whenever I make a sauce with those, I only use maybe 1/2 teaspoon for say 5 cups of sauce for a touch of heat. And I love spicy foods.

Back
Top Bottom