Corned beef casserole * funny story + recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SixSix210

Senior Cook
NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be
So last week, we packed up and headed south (unfortunately we had to come home) we went for a memorial/reunion/St.Pats party. We visited the family that had passed, we went in a giant caravan of cars and dragged the whole family from stone to stone and laughed and told stories and cried. Afterwards in good Irish tradition, we went and ate and drank the rest of the day and night away...

This was also the first time my family had met my honey. The pickiest human on the planet. This is a lady who will try things only if pressured, and impressing the family is a TON of pressure. So everyone of course brought their specialties to the party and as we all know, this invariably includes a casserole or two. Now the fun... My love does not like her food touching, or mixed together in any way shape or form. I've threatened to buy her those divided plates before. So when she found herself face to face with a corned beef casserole to the front, and my family at her back, she caved. heh heh heh. I watched her hesitantly take a fair sized scoop and put it on her plate. then I watched her take a small fork full and try it. Oddly enough, she loved it. Even asked for the recipe. I figured most of it was manners and obligation, but I was wrong. We went shopping yesterday, and she rounded up the ingredients. As we gathered the potatoes and carrots and such, she looked down the list and informed me that we needed a can of corned beef. I've seen them, and tasted them, but she had not. When we found them i the section with the rest of the devilled meats and potted meats, I took one look at her face and thought her resolve had broken. She was white as a ghost and muttered something about that "not being what she expected" but she pressed on. Now I'm home getting instructional emails for the prep. lol. You never know about some people :LOL:

So here it is. The magical casserole that satisfied the pickiest of people.

Cousin Heidi's Corned Beef Casserole

Preheat your oven to 375F

2-3 medium potatos cubed
2-3 carrots sliced
1 medium onion diced
1 head shredded cabbage
1 can corned beef shredded
1 can mushroom soup
Cheese of choice shredded

In a 13x9 inch pan, layer potatoes, carrots, onions, shredded cabbage, a can of corned beef, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Bake it at 375 for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Remove it. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake again until all the cheese is melted and then serve...

This is a great story, 66! It's true that folks can do a 180. One of my sons absolutely refused to eat any food that touched up until he was about 7. Because he was a very thin child, I was worried. I actually did buy those divided trays for his meals and he had a separate fork or spoon for each item. Honestly, I was worried that he was OCD big time. But he outgrew it and now will eat anything - with or without utensils! I have copied your recipe, too, because it sounds yummy!

lol. she's marginally older than 7. :LOL: I love her to death, but she's a pain to cook for. She's on DC too, so I'll probably get in trouble here later as soon as she gets off work...Should be fun...
Well, it doesn't work for everybody.:LOL: I'm past the mid-century mark and I still won't eat stuff that touches! Or ground beef dishes. Or. . . . . the list is just too long.

Great story and great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

This sounds much like a recipe my Mom made but I knew it as Corned Beef Hash. The funny thing about it is her Mother was from Cork and would visit us in the summers. My Mom made it one day when I was about 5 or 6 and I said "Nanny, we are having an Irish Dinner just for you". Well my Grandmother took one look at it and said that it was as Irish as the Pope! Being young and undaunted, I asked if he was coming to dinner too!

A friend of mine has many of you beat, not only will she not eat anything touching, but her food must be plated in a specific order so she can eat each item clock-wise starting from vegetables, then starch then meat! Oh, and she is definitely way over 7!

Great story and great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

This sounds much like a recipe my Mom made but I knew it as Corned Beef Hash. The funny thing about it is her Mother was from Cork and would visit us in the summers. My Mom made it one day when I was about 5 or 6 and I said "Nanny, we are having an Irish Dinner just for you". Well my Grandmother took one look at it and said that it was as Irish as the Pope! Being young and undaunted, I asked if he was coming to dinner too!

A friend of mine has many of you beat, not only will she not eat anything touching, but her food must be plated in a specific order so she can eat each item clock-wise starting from vegetables, then starch then meat! Oh, and she is definitely way over 7!
It's funny how many little quirks we have. I know people who eat their food in a specific order, too. I don't have a special order except I'll always choose dessert first if given the chance.

I love your story about about your Nanny. Out of the mouths of babes.:LOL:

A lot of times the fear is just a fear of the unknown. This might open doors to other things!!!!! There's LOTS out there that don't include the "scary" can of corned beef :LOL::LOL:

A lot of times the fear is just a fear of the unknown. This might open doors to other things!!!!! There's LOTS out there that don't include the "scary" can of corned beef :LOL::LOL:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You are right on target, as usual Elf! The first thing I thought when I read the recipe was uh oh, canned meat. That stuff scares me.

Loved the story. My DH is always commenting on my eating habits. Apparently I have a lot. :ermm:

Canned meat? I'm a recent convert to Spam musubi so I can no longer claim to be a hater of canned meat. But if you tried to serve me Spam alone, no way will I eat it! Odd, yes. Just one of those food quirks I have. :rolleyes:

Great story, we only have one fussy eater and I ignore her, she can eat or go hungry. Everyone else eats almost anything.

Going to give this one a try, looks interesting.

Fmom - what do you think will happen if your food touches ?
I'm not sure except that it looks different when juicy foods co-mingle. Also, I really prefer simple foods prepared simply and when foods touch, I think the flavors won't be good together. I know this sounds silly and ridiculous - it does to me, too!

I'm not sure except that it looks different when juicy foods co-mingle. Also, I really prefer simple foods prepared simply and when foods touch, I think the flavors won't be good together. I know this sounds silly and ridiculous - it does to me, too!

Then you would never mix two foods together on your plate ?

For the most part, no. I don't use gravy on mashed potatoes (or anything else, for that matter.) I have only recently begun to use a small amount of syrup on pancakes. My big victory recently was when I learned to make steaks properly and I also make a wine/butter sauce. I put the sauce in a little dish and dip each bite in it (so that the sauce doesn't get on anything else) but at least I'm using a sauce!

For the most part, no. I don't use gravy on mashed potatoes (or anything else, for that matter.) I have only recently begun to use a small amount of syrup on pancakes. My big victory recently was when I learned to make steaks properly and I also make a wine/butter sauce. I put the sauce in a little dish and dip each bite in it (so that the sauce doesn't get on anything else) but at least I'm using a sauce!

Whoa, my Dad sure wouldn't agree with you on this one! For him, if you cook a steak properly it doesn't need ANY kind of sauce! :LOL: He doen't want anything but salt and pepper to touch his precious piece of meat!

in my defense

So what if I'm picky? I've tried a lot more lately (sometimes against my will). I have my hang ups, I'll admit. (Fmom, I'm with you on the no gravy on mashed potatoes and the sauces mixing making things change taste) But I'm getting better. Ask him how much he's MADE me try. Like nasty lambic beers and some other things. This is how it works with me: If I like it separately, and you mix it together in a casserole, if it looks appetizing, I MIGHT consider it. But there are some things that I can't even stand about myself. Hate beans (unless green or jelly belly) and peas. I like celery, but it has to be raw, not cooked. And ketchup? Only on meatloaf or fish sticks. I will only eat mustard if it is mixed in my own home made potato salad (i even trim the edges from ham when it's on the skin). There are so many more qualifiers (I'd write for 3 days or betters if I had to list them all), but I AM getting better.

Back
Top Bottom