Hot dog buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

passioncook

Assistant Cook
Well recently we started making our own hamburger buns. Heavenly! :chef:

So now I want to move on to hot dog buns. But I can't find a pan!! I bought our hamburger pan from King Arthur but they don't have the hot dog pan anymore. Anyone know where to get one? I'm not having much luck googling it.

Or maybe I don't need a pan?? And if I don't, how do I do it?

I make our hamburger buns here and use a King Arthur pan. Sorry to learn they don't sell the hotdog bun pan.

In that case, just shape your dough into "long" rolls and bake on a baking sheet. In effect, you'll have little mini bread loaves. Trial and error will determine how much dough and how large to make the rolls.

If you want the buns with a vertical cut on the top of the bun and white bread sides, fill an appropriate sized pan (maybe 6-7 inches wide and 12-15 inches long) with the dough and bake. The make vertical cuts to separate the buns and to make the slits in each bun.

If you want the buns that are cut horizontally from the side. Try shaping the dough into the appropriate sized pieces and lay the pieces close to each other in a larger pan and bake.

I don't think either kind of bun is baked individually in commercial bakeries. You always have to either pull them apart or can see where they were pulled apart.

I've never used a pan for my dog buns....
Just stretch out a roll of dough a little bigger than a hot dog...
you may have to play with that a bit to get the size you like, but they work just fine shaping by hand.

4 ounce size of dough will give you a nice sized dog bun. baked side by side you will have buns that look store bought, you will have to cut apart and then cut up the side

I'm really interested. By making your own buns do you mean a regular plain bread dough recipe which is then shaped, or a different recipe which gives a softer texture? If the latter, please could you shre the recipe?? Thanks. Fiona

I've only been doing it for about a year, so I'm still searching for the perfect mix....
I started doing it last summer because I really HATED taking all 3 kids to the store, 7, 3, and 1 at the time, especially just for 1 item!

Hi, Passioncook,

Here's a recipe that I have found to really be good and soft as well. It's found in Allrecipes and if you have the chance do read some of the reviews which give lots of additional ideas or tips. allrecipes.com/Recipe/Burger-or-hot dog-Buns/Detail.aspx Wishing you luck!

expat thats the same one i've been using! best I've found yet....

I still remember several years ago when I found out that my Grandma had made the hot dog buns we were eating at lunch! I was having a fit that you could buy a pack of 8 at the store for 99 cents and she was making them. She said, "Oh, it's worth it. They taste so much better." And she was right!!! They were so soft and fresh.

She does what everyone else was saying above... shape them about like a hot dog, only a little fatter, let them rise, then they're touching each other when they come out of the oven and have to be pulled apart.

Good luck on trying hot dog buns, PC. I'm impressed with people who make yeast breads. I don't have a very good track record with it... yet.

Short a!! And I should have made that a capital "B"! :)

I don't use a hot dog pan either. I'm anal enough that I'll even use a scale to weigh my balls of dough so that the buns will be equal in size but that's TOTALLY unnecessary. I then roll them out and bake them on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper. So delicious. YOu can find them out our local bakery in K. but they are no where as tender as the homemade ones---in the states I buy the wholewheat ones

Discounting the New England style buns from KA, different animal, I didn't see the purpose of the hot dog pan in that link. It obviously did not help keep the buns a uniform size :huh:

Back
Top Bottom