Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   ISO sides for a BBQ? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/iso-sides-for-a-bbq-44665.html)

chave982 03-28-2008 09:33 AM

ISO sides for a BBQ?

My brother is throwing a "Kick-off-to-Summer" bbq bash in May, where he'll be grilling burgers, dogs, etc. He asked each of us to bring something. Any ideas? I don't want to be the guy who shows up with potato chips or soda..:tongue:

kitchenelf 03-28-2008 09:57 AM

At our house this is a MUST for every cookout.

MY MOM'S MACARONI SALAD (ate this all the time growing up – and still eat it all the time)
8 oz. box elbow macaroni (cooked, drained, and cooled. This is one time I rinse the macaroni well or too much dressing will absorb in and it will be dry - I also like the elbow macaroni found in the Mexican section, it's smaller)
-sliced radishes, 4 or 5 large
-cucumber, cut long ways, seeds removed, and sliced
-1 yellow pepper, chopped
-1 tomato, chopped (you can use any type of tomato i.e., Roma, grape, etc. If using grape still cut in half so tomato juice flavors salad)
-1 med-large carrot ribbons or just sliced carrots
-2 hard boiled eggs, grated (a must for this salad)

DRESSING
1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
s & p to taste (heavy on the pepper)

Mix all dressing ingredients first. Add veggies to macaroni and then mix most of dressing with everything. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to let flavors blend. Not totally necessary but it does help. Right before serving mix rest of dressing in with everything else if needed. Serves 8-10

Warning – if you try to change this recipe by not using 1/2 mayo and 1/2 miracle whip my mother will haunt you for the rest of your life!!!!!

Beachcomber 03-28-2008 10:07 AM

Another suggestion would be either potato salad, cole slaw or baked beans.

GB 03-28-2008 10:09 AM

Black Eyed Pea Salad

*amy* 03-28-2008 10:25 AM

Another pasta salad fan. This is a basic recipe I change out (i.e. more/different cheeses, salad dressing, fresh veggies in season, add in crab or shrimp) for take-alongs, bbqs, or at home during the summer.

Layered Picnic Pasta Salad

GB 03-28-2008 10:31 AM

That sounds really tasty Amy.

bowlingshirt 03-28-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 575248)
Another suggestion would be either potato salad, cole slaw or baked beans.

Bring that and a few kegs

*amy* 03-28-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 575268)
That sounds really tasty Amy.

It's really yummy & colorful, GB. I use more dressing, and a few layers of shredded cheese - cheddar, colby, jack, mozzarella/combo, & diced or red onion rings. Add in roasted sweet red peppers and/or marinated artichoke hearts, garbanzos -there's so many possibilities. Also, it doubles easily - just adjust seasonings. Cover & let chill a few for the flavors to get happy.

sage™ 03-28-2008 11:06 AM

People always like these baked beans and it makes a lot or you can even add an extra can of pork and beans if needed. I think Van Camps pork and beans work best with this recipe.

3 Bean Bake

1 can of kidney beans (drained)
1 can of french style green beans (drained)
1 can of lima beans (drained)
1 lrge can or 2 reg cans of pork & beans
1/2 cup of vinegar ( cidar) (can add less)
1 lrge onion sliced thin
1 Tble spoon mustard
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
about 3 pieces of bacon cut into inch size pieces to mix in ( I cook them a little in the microwave first)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teasoon salt

mix all togeter in a big casserole bowl and bake at 350* for an hour..(I put extra bacon slices on top)

I zap my bacon a bit ( 3 mins) in the microwave to remove some of the fat and to make sure it gets cooked.

gotta have mac salad or potato salad at a bbq too. :smile: It would be good to find out what others are bringing.

Uncle Bob 03-28-2008 11:11 AM

Corn on the Cob.....Cooked in Crab boil.

Enjoy!