Chef knives: Gunther Wilhelm or Wüsthof Ikon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookNow

Cook
I have been thinking of getting a better chef's knife, having used a Calphalon brand knife for the past several years. After reading many of the posts on this forum, I am interested in trying out the Gunther Wilhelm 8" Chef and comparing it to the Wüstof Ikon 8", which I've handled at the store recently.

My knowledge of 440 steel (grades a,b, and c) is limited to what I've read on this forum, but I'd still like some opinions of those that have used either knife, or both; ergonomics, sharpness retention, ease of use, etc.

Thanks in advance!

i have a wusthof classic ikon in the 9" size.

ergonomics: The handle is shaped for more or less rear balance and foreward grip. it is comfortable with almost no strain on the hand, wrist, or arm. You wont fatigue easily.

edge retention: Its pretty good considering it is my first and only wusthof chef knife. Though i cannot really scale it for i usually use japanese knives for the bulk of my work (which are lighter and sharper). I end up honing the blade maybe 1 time a day under moderate-heavy circumstances.

ease of use: It cuts with ease through most anything, a truely jack-of-all-trades knife. It sharpens, hones, and cleans up with minimal effort.

In my opinion its a good gruntwork knife. it cant compare with japanese style gyutos though.

9.5/10 overall.

hope this at least minimally helps.

oh...and PS. i found the 8" to be rather back-heavy and unbalanced as compared to the 9" (bought on amazon).

I've never owned the Wüstof, but I have owned a Henckles, and I prefer both my 8-inch and 10-inch Günter Wilhelm's chef knives to the Henckles. They're more comfortable and better balanced. Plus, right now the Günter is on sale, so it's cheaper than either the Wüstof or the Henckles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom