Looking for a torte recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luv2bake2

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I am new here and hope someone can help. Years ago my mom regularly purchased "tortes" from a Ukranian restaurant and I would love to find some similar recipes. After doing a little research I have discovered that Germans (and maybe others) use the word torte to describe any cake. The type that I am looking for was unique. It had about 5 very thin layers (each different) and about 5 different fillings. I recall chocolate, yellow and nut layers with various fruit, chocolate and even coffee fillings. Most multi-layer cakes I have come across only have one type of layer and one or two different fillings. This type of cake must be extremely labor intensive but I would love to try it. Any ideas for websites, cookbooks or even the correct name would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh my, what a challenge! First welcome in Luv2bake2, surely someone has an idea. How about CharlieD. If you find the five different layers and five different fillings The best I've done is about ten layers - all the same with one pastry and one filling but with chocolate poured over. You are definitely describing a Ukrainian constuction with a bunch of thin layers.

First of all welcome to the site. I'm sure we can help you some how.

Ukrainian and Russian cuisine have a lot of so called "torts". If you could describe the tort a little bit more maybe I can dig it out or talk to friends and see what they have to say. What kind of layers are you talking about, was it simple dough or something else, i.e. meringue? Also could you tell me where you are located? Maybe you can just go to Russian/Ukrainian store and see what they have available. You can either purchase or simply get better idea of what you want to make.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. What a great community you have here!

I would be thrilled with any Ukranian recipe. I no longer remember the exact layers but I know that some cake layers were more like a meringue, some like very dense and moist cake. I found a few recipes online for the meringue layer but none of the cake layers seemed right. It would probably be easy enough to make coffee and chocolate buttercream. But I know there were other layers and really would love to find a complete recipe.

Thanks again. By the way I am in Chicago and tried the Ukranian bakery in Ukranian Village. They aren't selling any currently and I really would like to bake this myself. Thanks again

Did it have any nuts? If it did I bet you are in for a serious surprise. There is this one "tort" that is out of this world but very involved and very labor intensive.

Also, you should go to some of the Russian stores. There are plenty in Chicago. Check them out. I bet you'll find something simular to what you want and then give me the name, I'll try to find the recipe. Now if you are up for chalenge I have a simple tort recipe called "Limonnik" here if you want you can start with that. Here is the link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/limonnik-35086.html

It is not as fancy as the one you describe, but a good begining.

Thanks for the Limonnik recipe!

Thanks for the Limonnik recipe! Are you Russian? I did not realize that Russians also baked torts. I will check the Russian neighborhood in our city for torts.

There actually was a layer of nutty cake in the torts I have had. Do you have a recipe for such a cake? I recall the nuts were not ground and so left that layer with a grainy texture - yet very moist. The fruit layers also were not just plain jam but had almost a jellied texture like fruit cake... Any ideas?

Thanks again. If you can't back to me again I am grateful for the info you have been able to give me.:chef:

I have a recipe for a tort called Kievskij (Kiev is a capital of Ukraine and was famous for ammasing cakes/torts). I am from Kiev originaly. The only problem with the recipe it is in Russian and it would have be translated into english. The only problem I am extrememly busy for next month or so. But I will try to do it after that time, if you are interested of course.

Kievsky tort

Oooo. Sounds tempting.. Thanks for offering but I appreciate that it would be time consuming to translate. If I haven't found anything else I 'll post again about this next month. If not, thanks again for your help.

This is actually a Passover recipe but it tastes really good!

This elaborate dessert is so delicious you'll forget it's Kosher-for-Passover! It'll be a family favorite in no time!

Ingredients

1 potato starch (or sugar) for the pan
6 large eggs, 5 of them separated
1 pinch salt
2 tsp. lemon juice, preferably fresh
3/4 C. sugar, divided
2 tsp. freshly grated lemon rind
3 oz. very finely grated semisweet or dark bar chocolate
2 1/2 C. very finely ground, unblanched hazel nuts
1/4 C. sweet Passover wine, sherry, or flavored brand
1/2 C. apricot (or other) jam or preserves
1/3 C. water
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 C. ground hazelnuts for the sides of the tort
12 whole hazelnuts
1 oz. semisweet or dark bar chocolate

Directions

Grease a 9-inch springform pan well, and coat it with potato starch (or sugar), tapping out any excess. If desired line the bottom of the pan with wax paper to make removal of the cake easier. Set aside.

For the batter, in a large mixing bowl, beat the 5 egg whites with the salt and lemon juice until foamy. Then very gradually add 1/4 C. of the sugar, and continue beating the whites until they form stiff, but not dry, peaks.

Use the same beaters and another bowl to beat the 5 egg yolks and the additional whole egg with the remaining 1/2 C. sugar and the lemon rind until they are very light and fluffy. Gently, but thoroughly, fold the beaten whites into the beaten yolk mixture. Then fold in the grated chocolate and ground hazelnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the torte in a preheated 325 degree oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the top springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip. Leave the torte in the oven, turn off the heat, and open the oven door slightly. After 10 minutes, remove the torte from the oven. Run a knife around the edge of the torte to release it from the pan rim; then cool the torte for 30 minutes longer in the pan. Remove the pan rim, and cool the torte completely on the pan bottom. (The center of the torte will settle slightly.)

Cover a 9- or 10-inch cardboard circle with a heavy duty aluminum foil or freezer paper, for a base (or use a cake platter). Invert the torte onto the prepared base and remove the bottom of the pan (and the wax paper, if used). Sprinkle the wine evenly over the torte. Heat the jam (in a small saucepan on the stove, or in a small heatproof bowl in the microwave oven) until it is thinned; then brush or spread the jam all over the torte. (This not only adds flavor, but also evens out the surface of the cake so the chocolate glaze will be perfectly smooth.)

For the chocolate glaze, combine the water, oil, sugar, and cocoa in a small saucepan and mix very well. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly for 10-14 minutes, or until the glaze thickens slightly and is very smooth and shiny. For the best flavor and texture, it should not boil. Remove the glaze from the heat and stir it for 3-4 minutes longer, or until it cools slightly and gets a bit thicker. Pour all the glaze in the center of the torte, and immediately use a metal or rubber spatula to evenly spread it all over the top and sides. Wipe up any drips from the cardboard base or serving platter.

Let the torte rest a few minutes until the glaze begins to set, but is still soft. Press handfuls of ground hazelnuts all over the sides of the torte, but not the top. Arrange the whole hazelnuts, evenly spaced, in a circle on top of the torte, about 1 inch in from the edge. Heap some chocolate curls (or coarsely grated bar chocolate) in the center of the torte (where it may have settled a bit). Refrigerate the uncovered, completed torte for several hours or, preferably, overnight so that the glaze can set, and the flavors and textures can "mellow."

For the best flavor and texture, remove the torte from the refrigerator a few hours before serving.

Yield: 12 servings

Ukrainian Tortes

love2bake2, let me come back in with 2 cents worth. When I read your first post I just couldn't see how you would find a standard recipe. Now that we know you are in Chicago we know you are in the center of a large Ukrainian-American community.

Start googling all the Ukrainian institutions - museum, social societies, churches, Slavic restaurants and bakeries, specialty stores of all kinds, etc. Ask, especially for leads to the older ladies - the babushkas - first or second generation who are known for their baking skills. You bet in every Ukrainian church, Orthodox or Catholic, or Uniate they will be there and in many a Synagogue and in some catering situations. These are the people - dig them out with sincerity. Present your baking credentials and the Ukrainian style babkas and tortes you have done. Don't be shy and you will eventually make more Ukrainian tradition acquaintenances then you could dream to have and they are good people!

Now for specifics - I finally opened up my two little Ukrainian cook books and of course we aren't even close but there are a number of tortes of several flavors and several fillings. Until you can come up with the right persons you might try this - "Festive Ukrainian Cooking" by Marta Pisetska Farley, and "The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine" by Bohdan Zahny. Both are available at Amazon and moderately priced. I'll bet you can pick out some babkas and totes that would go nicely together and some fillings that would be good with. Build some torte combinations from these recipes.

This should be right up your alley love2bake2 - the worst thing that will happen is you will have some good babkas and tortes to sample friends and family. Some might be better than others and those are the ones you are looking for. Remember, you gotta ask!
Na veci dobre, all the best I think and that's all the Ukrainian I know!
David Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans

Because nobody ask for a simple tote. Person asked for a very spesific recipe. :rolleyes:

How true!:ermm::) Luv2bake2 if you find it please don't be shy about letting us know - send me an email if you will please. Thanks. I will be doing some Ukrainian baking for the next few weeks. Anyone know what typical Ukrainian and Russian frienship or welcoming bread recipe would be? Would it be a plain bread - like a white wheat bread, or a rye bread or......?

David, typical Russian or Ukrainian bread would be rye. And it is naturally brown to dark brown in color and often round. Here, in the states that color achieved by adding tea or coffee. But it was natural there. I do not know why it is, most likely due to quality of the flour. But I haven’t had any bread here, even baked by the best Russian bakeries that are as good as some bread back in the old country. Have to add that even back there bread was exceptional in Ukraine. People would come on business or other type of trips to Kiev and they would take home 2 souvenirs, Ukrainian (that was the name of the particular bread) and Kiev torte. Bread was dark brown and round in shape. Torte was out of this world. Nuts, meringue, absolutely divine cream/frosting. It’s hard to describe.

David, I do not bake breads, I thought I had a recipe but I don't, but if you search for Borodinsky Bread, there should be a lot of recipes on the net for it. It would be one of the very common breads made in Russia. If you find the recipe in russian or ukrainian, send it to me I'll translate it for you.

I have heard of an Ukraine recipe called "Royal Torte" it seems to have all the different
stages that you mentioned. I do not have the recipe myself.
There is also a similar one called Napolean's torte.
I hope this can be helpful.

Napoleon is an extremely Uncomplecaed, strait forward construction: pastry dough and cream of a sort "torte". Bake, spread, done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom