Holland Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
well today at the market holland peppers were on special 4 for a dollar... so I bought 8:angel:

Now I need to figure out what to do with them as they were really not part of my plans.

I was going to just roast em but then I bought the bacon to break in the cast iron DO (see other posting) and so I figured maybe I could comine the two....

So Holland Peppers & fancy Bacon

In the house is Brown Rice, Cheddar and Jack cheeses a variety of spices from latin to asian and some basic veggies potato, onion, celery etc

IDEAS?

edit to add: ideally something that could keep for a bit and re-heat well I like to leave food for family memebers to eat on thier crazy schedules not always together.... maybe something that could be modified to eliminate bacon (we have a vegetarian).... maybe make a nice side to the bowl of chilli I was planning on eating tonight.

Last edited:
Do you have the pork shoulder?

If yes: Cook it as planned, and stuff the peppers with the pulled pork and some sort of sauce. Then bake. Plate up some brown rice and top with a stuffed pepper.

I'll bring the wine.

I have used a store bought artichoke salad to stuff peppers with before baking them. I would add some canned chicken to the salad before stuffing the peppers. They will keep nicely in the fridge for a couple of days properly wrapped.

I usually fill peppers with tuna, tomatoes capers and olives and the grill them. You can serve them with boiled potatoes. Of course, you can bake them instead.

Gosh, you have the ingredients for a lovely frittata. They are great warm or at room temp, and reheat wonderfully.

Could make a rice, cheese and pepper casserole.

hmm lots of good ideas.... the pork shoulder is reserved but I have some pork chili defrosting (thanks mom) that could do.

I have some canned tuna that could use to be moved....

aunt dot I hadnt thought about a fritatta that is an obvious one... bacon, potatos, eggs, (we have tons) cheese,... easy.... rehetable I can make one without bacon:( for the veggi (god I hope she gets over that soon) that may just be the way to go.

I just couldnt resist the deal on these they are always so darn expensive at the supermarket. but now I have too use them up while I have all these other plans

How about taking the onions and peppers, diced, and sauteeing them. Add to the pork chili and toss in some green olives. Think some raisins would work. Serve over the rice.

Course could always melt some cheese over it.

...edit to add: ideally something that could keep for a bit and re-heat well I like to leave food for family memebers to eat on thier crazy schedules not always together.... maybe something that could be modified to eliminate bacon (we have a vegetarian).... maybe make a nice side to the bowl of chilli I was planning on eating tonight.

How about chopped mexican salad to go with the chilli

Chopped Mexican Salad with Roasted Peppers, Corn, Tomatoes & Avocado
Preview - Chopped Mexican Salad with Roasted Peppers, Corn, Tomatoes & Avocado - Fine Cooking

Grilled Goat Cheese Crostini with a Tangle of Marinated Roasted Peppers
Preview - Grilled Goat Cheese Crostini with a Tangle of Marinated Roasted Peppers - Fine Cooking

Preview - Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Gazpacho - Fine Cooking

Preview - Southwest Tomato & Roasted Pepper Soup - Fine Cooking

Home fried potatoes with onions & peppers or
Roasted Potato Salad with Bell Peppers, Roasted Corn & Tomatoes
Roasted Potato Salad with Bell Peppers, Roasted Corn & Tomatoes - Fine Cooking

I guess I'm a little late for this, but I'd chop up those roasted peppers and toss them (and the bacon) into some corn muffins to go with the chili. That way, you can leave the bacon out of a couple for the vegetarian.

So in the end I was LAZY with the peppers.

Some got sauteed and went into a fritatta with bacon and potatos where they performed admirably and addeed lovely color

The rest got doused in oil balsamic and herbs and thrown on the grill....as I broke out the grill for the first time this summer and was eager to grill whatever I could and wanted to make sure I was covered when the vegetarian-in-residence got home. Well.... I could have guessed they were tasty as they dissapeared pretty quick but I did not try one right away .. there was only one left the next evening which I almost tossed becasue it was taking up a big dish in the fridge and I had not immediate use for it... but I decided to take a bite and try it... YUM it was good even cold so wonderfully tender and sweet... i devoured the thing cold straight.

Also they look really cool backlit by the fire while grilling.

well today at the market holland peppers were on special 4 for a dollar... so I bought 8:angel:

Now I need to figure out what to do with them as they were really not part of my plans.

I was going to just roast em but then I bought the bacon to break in the cast iron DO (see other posting) and so I figured maybe I could comine the two....

So Holland Peppers & fancy Bacon

In the house is Brown Rice, Cheddar and Jack cheeses a variety of spices from latin to asian and some basic veggies potato, onion, celery etc

IDEAS?

edit to add: ideally something that could keep for a bit and re-heat well I like to leave food for family memebers to eat on thier crazy schedules not always together.... maybe something that could be modified to eliminate bacon (we have a vegetarian).... maybe make a nice side to the bowl of chilli I was planning on eating tonight.

Here's what i would recommend doing:

Cook the brown rice with the celery and onions and use chicken boullion and garlic powder to season along with black pepper and paprika.

Cook the bacon in your Dutch Oven or whatever pot/pan you desire. Then after to remove the bacon do a quick sautee in with some cut up potatoes in the bacon grease for about 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes to a rectangular baking pan.

Meanwhile, after your rice has cooled off ....fluff it with a fork and and the shredded cheddar cheese to it and mix. Then stuff it into your peppers, lay the pepper atop the potatoes in the baking pan and cook at 350 for 40 minutes or until done.

Whatever you choose to do i hope it comes out well,, let us know :chef:

I like to put the peppers in a pasta salad. They keep for a long time in the pasta salad and add a lot of flavor. It is a quick easy snack since everyone eats seperately and also makes a good lunch item.

Well, if you can take advantage of that fabulous deal AGAIN, maybe you can try kadesma's easy chile rellenos, and use pepperjack cheese for the heat.

I haven't tried these yet, but I'm sure going to!

Lee

Here's kadesma's post that I copied and pasted:

Chile Rellenos, kadesma (cj)

I cheat when I make relleno's I just buy Italian long green chiles, cut them in half the long way and take out the seeds I use a box of tempura batter mix and dip the cut chiles in that and place them on a large baking sheet sprayed with pam...I put them so the hollow insides are facing up and then I just lay strips of pepper jack cheese on top. I bake them in a 400 oven til the cheese melts and gets bubbly and starts to get golden. That is all I do..You can use any pepper of choice, but I would recommend the pepper jack cheese to fill the peppers, as I find other cheeses are lacking in taste..

Back
Top Bottom