ISO a meal to bring to new mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
I need to take my Sister in law and brother in law dinner because they just had a new baby. Any ideas on what I should make to take to them?

- Mary

I always take people chicken enchiladas because it's easy to make a lot, you can make it in advance and just heat it up when you are ready, and it tastes good as leftovers. I bring jell-o for the kids.

An Italian-style casserole is always good. Sliced Italian sausage, two colors of bell peppers, onions, garlic, marinara sauce and short pasta like penne or rotini. Also easy to heat up and makes great leftovers. HTH.

Anything you do well and they like. I usually do a one pot meal type thing (less washing up for them). It does not need to be fancy - just good and filling.

I am strong beliver into chicken soup after any kind of stres (flue, surgery or baby birth). Hardy chicken soup with some noodles. Mash potato and some baked fish. Some thing light. She needs easy foods right now for at least few days.

Congrats on the new niece/nephew! :)

I about always take lasagna, French bread, salad, and a one-dish dessert of some sort. The last time, I added a frozen meal too... something she could put in the freezer and use later when meals stop coming in. The frozen meal was a turkey loaf, twice-baked potatoes, frozen peas, and a frozen dessert (German chocolate cream pie).

We usually go with baked ziti or some type of Italian casserole. But any type of casserole will work.

Or baken beans with kielbasa, jazzed up with maybe a couple of types of beans, onion, brown sugar or molasses, some vinegar, dry mustard and a tad of liquid smoke.

Chicken and dumplings with rice.

Just pick out something you like to cook and they like to eat.

Yes, congrats on your newest little niece or nephew! Do they have other children? If so, try to take into account what they like and perhaps include some juice boxes. Also, maybe you could include some paper plates and plastic flatware to make the meal totally effortless for them.

And I forgot to say, whatever you make--put it in disposable dishes and give them paper plates and plastic forks/cups to go with it. Your SIL won't feel like doing any dishes!

I usually do the old lasagna/bread/salad standby but I like the idea of chicken enchiladas. Only thing though, if they do have other children, they may not like that (at least mine don't).

Congrats!

Wild rice and chicken casserole...box of cooked wild rice, some chopped, cooked chicken, can of creamed soup of your choice. Mix it, add bread crumbs (crouton sized) on top and drizzle with melted butter. Bake and eat!

a macaroni & cheese (baked), stuffed shells, casseroles. i've a 50's book of meals with great cassseroles- message me if you're interested.

Congratulations. =) Salmon with mixed greens and a fruit salad that will last a few days. That's what I wanted. (I just had a baby recently)

If she is breast feeding, bring beer, it's suppose to help with milk production.

Avoid, cabbage, lots of onions, baked beans or the baby will feel it. :LOL:
~Blissful

If she is breast feeding, bring beer, it's suppose to help with milk production.

Avoid, cabbage, lots of onions, baked beans or the baby will feel it. :LOL:
~Blissful

I hear fenugreek is a better way to increase milk supply since you don't really want the baby getting alcohol in the system. :unsure:

She's absolutely right about the cabbage. :)

I remember when I was pregnant there were a few things the doctor would not let me eat. Maybe I would have not eaten them anyway, but knowing I could not....it just made me have big cravings for them....One of them was cured ham...

People were coming to the hospital with flowers, chocolates, and baby presents...and then...one of my friends showed up with some slices of the best ham you could find. If the stiches had let me........I would have jumped out of bed and fall on my knees!!!!

So...if there is anything she was not allowed to eat, you could serve it!!.

Ps. (red meat, not well cooked. I would not eat that neither. It had to be so well cooked that it was like eating a shoe sole, if sole is the right word in English, now I cannot remember)

Anything that you can make a lot of. When my SIL had her baby, I brought a lasagna, a moussaka, and a curry. She picked what she felt like eating that night and the rest went into the freezer. Apparently her and her husband didn't have to cook for almost 2 weeks. They were thrilled. I don't think either of them can eat moussaka anymore, though. LOL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom