Hello! from Egypt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chahira

Assistant Cook
Hello everybody , I am from Egypt ,i love cooking , baking, cheese making and jams making . I am working in Alexandria as a cooking instructor as well as caterer, i enjoy doing this job.I had a bachelor degree in economics and political sciences , but pastry arts are my only passion . i am married and i have two amazing kids, they are my vip clients . I can speak english, french and i am studying japanese for 2 years , but i still have a long way.anyway i hope that disccuss forum helps me as well as enable me to help others >

hi, charira.......I lived in Cairo (Mumbai to be more exact) for years. Loved the experience and most of all the Egyptian people and their culture. Learned to cook a few of the local dishes and those that I didn't I loved. Welcome to DC and hope to see you post some good recipes and interact with us. Why are you learning Japanese?

I'm sorry, did not mean Mumbai, Cairo (my husband was talking about people coming from there to here for a visit and I can't carry on two thoughts at once-ha!) and I meant to say Maadi, Egypt not Mumbai. I guess the Alzheimer's is kicking in.

HELLO! i am learning japanese because my family and me have a lot of japanese friends, my father worked as an engineer in japan long time ago, they have an amazing culture. i enjoy studying but it needs a lot of time and very good memory , may god helps me , h have two young kids and i am struggling to study it is also a good chance to me because i got it as a scholar ship from japan foundation. so u lived in egypt, anytime u need a recipe from our cuisine , i am ready to help u . u know i had very good friends from kazak since i was studying in cairo univ. my best fiend is ganar , i lost her address, i am looking for it everywhere but no hope, she was living in almata. have a nice time

Selam and ahlan wa sahlan!! I also lived in Egypt for a while...cairo, luxor, sharm el sheikh,...I loved it! I too miss the culture, the people, and the food! YUM! I'm very happy you are here and look forward to all your input and recipes!

Hello Chahira, I too am new here. When I seen you where from Egypt I thought I would ask your help. My daughter is engaged to a man from Egypt, who she met at college. I thought you might be able to help me with a few recipes to make him feel at home.

Thanks to all, today i will try a new experiment in my kitchen, i will try a new cocktail jam using banana + strawberry+orange+kiwi+apples.i will try also roses jam but this time i will use dried roses.next time inchallah (if the the results satisfy me) i will write the whole recipes.Thanks again to allthe people who love my country and respect its culture.

fatta recipe

DEar missy thank u for taking care of one of our egyptian abroad , we have very great cuisine. it is tasty and all the foreigners adore our food , because we simply cook it with love, anyway i will tell u the fatta recipe we need half kilo of beef meat cut into cubes, boil 4 littres of water in a big pan put in the washed meat, let it boil and take off all the dirty foam that will appear put in a small onion as it is , cardamom,salt and pepper.let it boil till the meat become tender.prepare 2 cups of egyptian rice( short and white)put 1 tbps ghee or butter over the heat add the rice and stir it 3 minutes in the ghee then pour 2 cups of water to cover it salt it and cover the pan till it start boiling do not take off the cover to check it use ur ear to listen the sound of boiling . low the fire or remove the pan over the lowest fire u have , let it for half an hour then check it (u can take off the cover now )dry 4 pita or lebanese bread in the oven till become crunchy, break it in abig gratin plate and pour on it the garlic sauce , soak it till the bread absorb all the liquid ( galic sauce:ina small pan put 1 tbsp ghee stir in it 4 grounded garlic do not change its colour add 3 tbsp white vinegar and half cup of the prepared soup)add the rice over the bread then garnish with the meat cubes after frying it alittle in a small spoon of butter. serve and garnish with tomato sauce( in a small pan stir 2 ground garlic, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and one cup and half of tomato puree, salt and pepper , let it boil till become thick. serve this Fatta plate with yogurt and cucumber salad. try and if u need more recipe ,u r welcomed anytime, goodbye:chef:

:chef:what a wonderful attitude and sounds like a great life-Welcome! I have no experience either eating or cooking Egyptian food so...I am ready to learn.

Hello and welcome to DC!
My wifes stepfather is from Egypt, not sure which city. He left in the 70's to go to Canada where he met my wifes mother and married her, then they moved here to the US. He is a Chemist and was following the jobs. I always joke we have an international family as I have German, French, and Native American on my side and she has Egyptian, Hungarian, and British on her side!

Welcome from a old retired Chef from The Great Midwest. I have never experienced Egyptian cooking so looking forward to some of your countrys dishes

Thank you Chahira

Chahira, Thank you for the recipe, I'll let you know how it turned out as soon as I try it. Thank you again for your time.

Hello everybody.

I am glad to be a part of this wonderful forum. I am a food lover, interested in cooking. Hope I gain good knowledge here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom