My crockpot is too big... Is this solution unsafe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quadlex

Cook
My mother bought me a slow cooker for christmas, which is great because that's exactly what I wanted. The only problem was she bought me a 5.5L model, and I don't have a 5.5L Stomach:P

I've got very little freezer space and I only cook for myself most nights, so I don't really want to prepare more then 2 meals at once, which is quite hard in the cooker. If I don't add much to it, what is in there burns during the 11 hours I'm at work.

I think I've come up with a solution. I'll buy a small earthenware oven pot, and put my food inside the pot. I'll then put that pot *inside* the crock, and fill the space between with water. The cooker will then heat the water, which will heat the inner pot, which will cook the food. There might be a bit more steam produced then normal, but overall I think it'll work.

My only concern is that something will go "Horribly Wrong(TM)" and I'll regret it and/or destroy my house and/or cat. Can anyone think of any flaws with my cunning plan?

Is there a day when you are home 11 hours and can monitor it?
It sounds good in theory.

I do not feel confident enough to be the one to say go ahead and do it, but my gut is saying it just might work. I am curious to hear what others think.

I would start with boiling or near boiling water to minimize any extra time needed to get the heat to the food. The crock pot liner will heat up fairly quickly as it is in direct or near direct contact with the heating element(s). In your scenario, the heating elements must heat the crockpot liner, the water and the smaller ontainer before it can heat the food. I would plan on a longer cooking time.

That's a good point, Andy. More time in the "danger zone", too.

Using a pan inside the crockpot is done all the time, especially for small quantities of liquid. I've never heard of adding water in the base, but I guess if you want to add humidity or steam your foods, okay.

A slow cooker/crockpot is the same as a low-temperature oven. Do you add water or do anything special when you put something in the oven to cook? Amazingly it cooks just fine in the center of the oven without anything special being done. The same for your crockpot.

Leave the cover on and allow it to do its job all day. Or if you want breakfast, turn it on at night and it cooks while you sleep. The crockpot is your FRIEND.

I have an extra large crockpot too. Because it's big doesnt mean that you have to fill it. I've used it hundreds of times and felt comfortable leaving it on while we were at work all day. But that's just me.....Newer crockpots have timers built in them. I have one of those also. However, the heating element gets too hot on 'low' setting. I think there's an issue with new law regulations where the FDA says that the element has to be a certain temerature or above in order to cook it thoroughly. Defeats the purpose of slow cooking.

Good luck,

Petey

When I was young, my mum used to make parcels of food in tin foil which she then cooked in the slow cooker.

I agree with the drying out, my slow cooker is even designed to alow steam to excape - self defeating.

The other alternative to to make a full size meal using the crockpot, portion it out, eat one portion & put the other portions in the freezer for another day.

I don't like the idea of pot inside the pot. Just doesn't seem to be a safe thing to do. I'd rather go with not filling the pot to full capacity, just cooking as much as you need. Also, you might consider contacting manufacturer and asking them the same question. They might help you more than we can.

Do you guys know what cooks great in a crockpot?....The oval shaped ones.... Brasciolle . Just roll them up and place them inside the bottom of the pot. No need to tie them up with strings. :cool:

Petey, would you please post your braciole recipe? I've only made one giant one for a special Italian meal.

Lee

img_658353_0_43575ae8c4ea7e2bd6613cc62c714a15.jpg

I don't like the idea of pot inside the pot. Just doesn't seem to be a safe thing to do. I'd rather go with not filling the pot to full capacity, just cooking as much as you need. Also, you might consider contacting manufacturer and asking them the same question. They might help you more than we can.

I have to agree with you. I don't think the water can be sufficiently heated to reach the center of the inserted pot. Why not just make what a little more than the recipe calls for so you can fill your pot up half way and save the rest in your fridge for later in the week? If you haven't used the pot yet and feel it is too large for the amount of food you can eat yourself, you can return it and get the same brand in a 4 quart pot. Some manufacturer's make a 2 1/2 quart pot also.

Petey, would you please post your braciole recipe? I've only made one giant one for a special Italian meal.

Lee

img_658522_0_43575ae8c4ea7e2bd6613cc62c714a15.jpg

Wow that looks good Lee. I'd have to dig up the recipe. It's my moms.

Off the top of my head i can tell you that i use boneless pork loin fillets flattened out with a meat mallet. The pork loin is much more tender than 'beef round' . Another option is chuck fillets....which arent always easy to come by but provide the best flavor. Inside of it would be bread crumbs, pianolas, parsley,crumbled up bacon, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, & one egg . I dont know the measurements off hand though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom